How to fix a quiet singer

mhuxtable

• Members

Have her use proper mic technique first. The proximity of the mic to the source is critical. If she is a quiet singer she will need to get that mic as close to her mouth as possible. Other then that, she might just need to work on her self-confidence. Turning her up will only create feedback problems.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thats some crazy talk right there. I mean, yeah, find a mic that fits her voice... but you can't fault a sound guy because a singer is being too quiet... what is he supposed to do? Crank the gain up and then eq out offending signals? Eventually you've just eq'd out the whole spectrum and negated your gain increase.

THIS.

You need to figure out why she's being so quiet. Some people do it because they can't stay in tune if they sing out. Some people just don't have confidence. Unless she grew up singing in church she probably sings fairly quiet everywhere except the car. Either way it should be an easy fix.

• Members

she could use in ear monitors and then crank the gain to the FOH.

and if there's still a wall you're hitting then yes the rest of the band is too loud for her voice and you need to play quieter.

and in that regard, IMO that soft girly {censored} is best left for acoustic night at the coffee shop.

• Members

mixing singers with no volume is a challenge. you have to eat a dynamic mic, there's no such thing as "mic technique" unless you're using a condenser mic with your own separate monitor mix and you're touring at a very high level. turning up her monitor so she can hear better won't help, it should be turned down so she has to sing louder to hear herself. pros sing loud, it's that simple.

• Members

if you make her mic too hot, there's a ton of feedback. shocker!
you end up getting sound from other sources (drums, guitars) and not just her voice.

That answers your question.

Even if you could control the feedback (say the whole band goes on IEM's), it's not going to solve the fact that there's too little signal and too much noise in her microphone. No gadgets are going to solve that problem. As you alluded to, you could try a mic with a different pattern, but be warned - that's going to require different placement of her monitor wedge(s). A cardiod mic rejects most directly behind the capsule, whereas the nulls on supercardioid and hypercardioid are off at angles. Frankly, I doubt switching mics is going to make a ton of difference.

And I don't wanna hear "make her sing louder"....its the way she sings & it is what it is.

Well, then I guess you're going to have to get used to her getting lost in the mix.

-Dan.

• Members

My fiancee sings in our band with me & 2 other guys...has a fantastic voice, we do some great harmonies.

But she's just very quiet...thats just her nature and her voice. Sound guys always ask "is that how loud you're gonna sing"?

Is there a hardware solution for this? Compressor? Without getting massive feedback?

She's not wisper quiet, just much quieter than the rest of us, plus we have 2 guitars, bass, keys, drums....it's a lot going on & sometimes she can get lost in the mix.

And I don't wanna hear "
make her sing louder"....
its the way she sings & it is what it is. I'm just wondering if there's something we can put between her mic & the channel....like a compressor & feedback eliminator or something like that?

it's ironic that this is truly the right answer

• Members

Mazzy Star managed to sound good with a quiet singer.

Lots of bands sound great with quiet singers. Nothing against the OP, I'm just speaking in generalities about the subject when I say that on a guitar-player-dominated forum the problem is always the "singer's" fault, or the equipment's fault. But IMO a band is only as good as everyone's awareness of each player's strengths. If everyone likes the singer's voice, but she doesn't cut through the mix, then try arranging the songs so that the music is more sparse when she sings, and louder and denser when she doesn't' sing.

Just sayin'.

• Members

Loud band + quiet singer + wrong choice of microphones = disaster!

Band can play lower

Singer can learn to project properly

Find a proper mic for her voice! With today's hyper cardioic patterns I can't imagine a whisper that can't be heard over a band!

Rod

• Members

Loud band + quiet singer + wrong choice of microphones = disaster!

Band can play lower

Singer can learn to project properly

Find a proper mic for her voice! With today's hyper cardioic patterns I can't imagine a whisper that can't be heard over a band!

Rod

Band already plays at a managable volume. She projects as much as she can while keeping the proper sound to her voice...if she just belts it like she's on broadway, she doesn't sound like "herself" anymore (as far as her "sound" in this band)

However, proper mic I think is key.....which brings me to this question.....

Is there such a thing as a hyper or super cardioid dynamic mic?

• Members

Having just read over the entire thread, I think the only valid solution is for her to learn how to sing louder. As was pointed out, you cannot just simply up the gain and level, and one can put the mic only so close to their mouth before it is IN their mouth.

So, that leaves two things...sing louder and/or play softer. In theory, if all of the instruments played direct without amps, that would eliminate the stage noise problems.

• Members

unfortunately hypercardioid really isn't a magic "cone of silence" and IMO I could see a whisper being quite hard to amplify intelligibly over a loud band

• Members

Band already plays at a managable volume.

apparently not manageable enough for her vocals :confused:

Is there such a thing as a hyper or super cardioid dynamic mic?

yes, she is most likely already using one, and the blunt "the band is already at a manageable volume" mindset might need to change, sorry.

• Members

Having just read over the entire thread, I think the only valid solution is for her to learn how to sing louder. As was pointed out, you cannot just simply up the gain and level, and one can put the mic only so close to their mouth before it is IN their mouth.

So, that leaves two things...sing louder and/or play softer. In theory, if all of the instruments played direct without amps, that would eliminate the stage noise problems.

That's what the beer is for.

• Members

is she hott? pics.

Yes totally. You've already seen her....I've posted her on here before.

If you guys go to my link in the sig you can hear her solo in "Ghost Story"....you'll hear how her voice sounds....its not "whispery" at all.

• Members

unfortunately hypercardioid really isn't a magic "cone of silence" and IMO I could see a whisper being quite hard to amplify intelligibly over a loud band

I was trying to get the point across...oh well...

In any case, best dinamic mic I have ever used on stage is the Heil PR30, if she can't get heard with that, she is the problem. Condenser and for my voice I use the EV R-510, very tight pattern with warm tones and a lot of gain before feedback.

By the way, I never had a sound tech refuse to use a mic I brought with me to a gig, they have always been open and friendly about it! To me, not bringing your own microphone to a gig would be equivalent to using a house guitar if there was such a thing!

Rod

Archived