Extremely heavy decent sounding high gain pedal?

Voomek

• Members

I've never cared much for 5150s and the one I owned was going to my tech every six months without exception. That being said, I had a friend who had one and it held up great for him.

Personally, I think a VTM will smoke a 5150 and you'll be able to find it for a lot cheaper.

Ever play through a Butcher? That's hands-down the best big Peavey I've ever tried...

I mean the original 80's Butcher like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/80s-Peavey-Butcher-JCM-800-w-6L6s-MINT-Condition-/320701829915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab51931b

Not whatever that new one is...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never cared much for 5150s and the one I owned was going to my tech every six months without exception. That being said, I had a friend who had one and it held up great for him.

Personally, I think a VTM will smoke a 5150 and you'll be able to find it for a lot cheaper.

Sounds like you just had a bad amp. VTM's are nice too, just depends on what kind of metal tone you're after

• Members

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the Zoom Tri-Metal yet.

A Boss MT-2 Metal Zone with the Diezel mod would do pretty well for ya as well.

All of this is assuming you're going to stick with using the amp you've mentioned and are relying on the PA to push your volume...

• Members

For now you may want to buy a pedal that will allow you to play direct while you save for an amp. The other option is just get a cheaper distortion pedal like a Metalzone and that may work provided that your mic'd at shows and have a somewhat decent closed back cab. I've never played a Nightrain, but aren't they supposed to have quite a bit more gain than the ACs? If that's true (and you have a good cab and are micd at shows) you may be able to get away with running it flat out and boosting the {censored} out of it with a tubscreamer.

• Members

For death metal? Really? haha

my wh fs gets into metal territory easily. thoose internal knobs make a difference IF you know what your doing.

and i toured in a metal band for a couple years so ill back that up.

my rig now that i do nothing but bedroom playing is a fender blues deville from the 80s which is bassically a fender bassman with 4x10s and thats a/b'd to a jetcity into an orange cab. with my fs i can dial in almost exact tones on the fender as the jet city

• Members

Here are some pedals I've had good results with for melodic death metal for around $100:

ART Xtreme (not the Plus model) - Great EQ, and has three modes for everything from mild overdrive to brutal death metal.

Korg 104ds HyperDistortion - Another one with great onboard EQ, and a cab-sim switch for running direct. Footswitches are questionable.

H&K Warp Factor - More basic than the above pedals, but can do the whole range of Marshall to Mesa tones. Known crappy footswitch design though, NOT reliable without modding.

MXR Fullbore - Doesn't get much love here, but I bought one new for $90 because it sounds good, has a built-in noise gate and is sturdy. Would probably be the easiest to get your hands on.

• Members

I think the HM-2 reacts to the gain structure of different amps differently. The trick is to max that {censored} out. All knobs on 11 and then to add gain on your amp to really bring out the chainsaw grind that's inherent in these pedals. I just hate not having that pedal as a permanent addition to my rig. I'm gonna have to convince my friend to sell or trade for it.

• Members

I would go Metal Muff, if you need it now. Pretty easy to find new or used, reasonable price, and just plain sounds amazing. If you have some time, order an AMT Legend P1, R1, or E1. Not only are all of these pedals great, they will still be great after you upgrade your amp.

• Members

seriously, ampeg vh140. if it helps, i've been in a position where i've played an old ampeg v4 head(tubes) ran clean through a yamaha 4x12, with a toneczar openhaus(a $400 hi gain metal flavored distortion pedal touted as the end all be all of hi gainers) doing the distortion work with a dod rack eq to tweeze the mids a bit more. thats about a $1500 rig minus the guitar right there give or take. i played this next to an ampeg vh140 head with a marshall 4x12 with the guitar going right in and nothing in between, about an $800 rig at the most and it blew me out of the water in terms of coping a better all out death metal sound which was what we both were after that particular day. no tubes to worry about either.

Archived