Extremely heavy decent sounding high gain pedal?

Voomek

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, this dude needs a new amp. The Night Train
will not
cut it at all.

This, seriously. A Night Train will not suffice live with a metal band, not even close, no matter what pedal you run into it.

New amp time, 50-100 watts, oversize 2x12 or 4x12, then worry about pedals.

Guest Guest

I like when people play genre music using the "wrong" equipment. :idk:

That said, if you're after a really heavy sound and nothing else will do, I agree that your amp ain't ideal.

Also, FWIW, the best br00tz pedal I've used was the Okko Dominator - sounded phenomenal through clean Fenders. Tight and mean; more br00tal than the Emma PisdiYAUwot, which I was also really into.

• Members

Vox anything isnt anywhere what you need for that style of music, let alone the whole 15w the night train pushes.

If your budget is $150 ish, try and find a crate Gwhatever-130c or the ampeg version of it, both have been used in death metal quite a bit and the Crates can be found very easily for $150. Then you might want to sell the Night Train for a decent cab.

• Members

I'm going to go with the new amp crowd here. Sell your night train. If money is really tight, but a Peavey VTM 120 and a cheap 4x12. That combo can do a lot and you can work it out for under $500 without too much difficulty.

those VTM amps, both the 60 and 120 -- can be found CHEAP.......and are like JCM800's tonally......fantastic tube amps for the $$$

• Members

5150's are super reliable and sound great dont let anybody tell you otherwise. If it is not somebodys cup of tea thats another thing, but like most other amps you can make it sound like {censored} if you dont know how to eq.
If youre dead set on a pedal I would recommend: So Much Devastation, PisDIYauwot or Dominator.
BUT... Like most others have said the night train isnt really gonna cut it with a band though. The VTM is a great suggestion but I would say look for a 5150 or even an older 5150 combo I would say theyre easier to come by and you wont have to buy a cab seperately

• Members

All my friends in hardcore bands used them and they broke all the time and generally sounded awful. I don't like the tone they get at all. Almost all the big Peaveys sound harsh as {censored} when loud, and most hardcore bands would turn them up loud.

The difference here being that generally, alot of extreme metal bands tend to play with a rather quiet stage volume... I'm guessing that's because they realize how {censored}ty and harsh those amps sound when loud. I swear, Quiet 5150 and Loud 5150 are like two different amps. One is a cool-sounding high gain dream, and the other is an implement of ear torture.

your friends probably don't understand the purpose of the resonance knob. the resonance should be set at inverse of the post. i played a 5150 in various metal bands and dragged them all over the country, they're as reliable as any other tube amp i've ever played.

• Members

I like when people play genre music using the "wrong" equipment.
:idk:

That said, if you're after a really heavy sound and nothing else will do, I agree that your amp ain't ideal.

Also, FWIW, the best br00tz pedal I've used was the Okko Dominator - sounded phenomenal through clean Fenders. Tight and mean; more br00tal than the Emma PisdiYAUwot, which I was also really into.

I agree with that "wrong" equipment statement, doesn't really matter what's used if {censored} sounds good. A 15 watt Night Train is literally "wrong" though, simply will not work in a live setting with a metal band.

+1 on the Dominator if you get a loud, cleanish amp, sounds pretty bad ass.

• Members

A 15 watt tube amp can beat out many solid state amps and be highly loud. The actual loudness and sound needed matters a lot. Some drummers you can drown out and others will drown out you. The small amps don't like to pump out bass so the cabinet needs to make it easy on the amp, which the matching 1x12 will not. But if you actually listen to recordings, the guitar in death metal isn't always bassy, it can be almost nothing actually, and prog. metal leads certainly can be done with that amp.

Along with the obvious choices such as Dirty Bomb, could try working with more a fuzzy booster + cranked amp type of sound. On the cheap, try DOD Supra FX55C (unmodified), you'll have to set the amp too bassy for clean playing but it's a tight, sharp sound and probably better than any of their "metal" pedals.

• Members

A 15 watt tube amp can beat out many solid state amps and be highly loud.

It's not just about volume, it's about headroom too. A 15 watt head might just about get loud enough, but you're going to be pushing it to it's absolute limits and it won't sound tight enough for that style of music no matter what pedal you run into it. It just isn't a suitable amp at all, no matter what guitar or pedals you run into it.

• Members

It's not just about volume, it's about headroom too. A 15 watt head
might
just about get loud enough, but you're going to be pushing it to it's absolute limits and it won't sound tight enough for that style of music no matter what pedal you run into it. It just isn't a suitable amp at all, no matter what guitar or pedals you run into it.

+1

• Members

Just like in the last 12,023 threads on the exact same subject (of which a lot were started by myself:) ), you'll get a lot of pedal recommendation for stuff ranging between $50 and $350.

In my personal experience, the most expensive ones do stand out when it comes to decent high gain tones...But they're usually still not worth the price tag impo.

The right answer is usually: Get a new amp. In your case there's no question about it though, that night train isn't gonna cut it, sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said a couple of times. It's hard enough as it is to make something like a twin reverb sound remotely like a Diezel using a small solid state pedal, let alone an amp that's pretty much designed to do the exact opposite as a 200watt full stack with tons of onboard distortion.

If fizzy thin distortion is okay for you, your best bang for the buck might be a used Barber Dirty Bomb, or something by Hardwire, or some (modded) Boss pedal.

With your amp, an Okko Dominator or Emma Pisdiyauwat probably isn't gonna make a whole lot of difference compared to some cheapish metal distortion.

• Members

I get it about the new amp. I am usually a rock player, I usually play pretty standard rock stuff. But I just joined this band becuase I've been looking for a metal band. I can't sell the Vox because I still use it for rock. I don't have any money, and the only thing I can do is run it clean. It's not like we're touring, we've played one show together and we're just starting to write our first EP. I just need something to get me by.

• Members

I've got a mini-Shockwave posted in the SPAM thread. For tight death metal, if you like the kind of sound Pig Destroyer has, and you have a 4 ohm cab, it's @ the same price as a good distortion pedal and it has a free 120 watt power supply. :)

Otherwise I'd say find an Ampeg VH140-C, Crate GX-130C or GT3500H, or one of the better Randall SS heads. Then find what kind of 100+ watt tube head you like and start savin'.

• Members

I've run my Wampler Triple Wreck through my Vox Night Train into a Mesa Theile 1x12 (closed back) and it sound pretty monstrous. If your amp doesn't get blown away by your band then it's loud enough. I think some people here are being very orthodox about what type of amp metal must be played through. If it works, it works. If the Wampler is too expensive I'd suggest you take a look at the Tech 21 U.S. Steel.

• Members

I get it about the new amp. I am usually a rock player, I usually play pretty standard rock stuff. But I just joined this band becuase I've been looking for a metal band. I can't sell the Vox because I still use it for rock. I don't have any money, and the only thing I can do is run it clean. It's not like we're touring, we've played one show together and we're just starting to write our first EP. I just need something to get me by.

thats why I say gets somethin chincy as {censored} for now. And save your pennies for some real gear.

• Members

Buy a vh140 or one of the Crate's based on that amp. I forget the model but one of the Crate amps is exactly the same as the vh140. You could also maybe score a Peavey XXX for $300 or so. Any of those options are going to be much better than any pedal (even the expensive ones) imo.

• Members

Go Canucks, Pewter. Just realized where you're located. That's a good idea, also. I'll probably do that, but it's possible that I can use my guitarist's old amp while we're writing. It's a Spider, so it's pretty terrible, but it's also FREE.

• Members

Go Canucks, Pewter. Just realized where you're located. That's a good idea, also. I'll probably do that, but it's possible that I can use my guitarist's old amp while we're writing. It's a Spider, so it's pretty terrible, but it's also FREE.

Canucks just won 4 - 2 !!!

• Members

I've never cared much for 5150s and the one I owned was going to my tech every six months without exception. That being said, I had a friend who had one and it held up great for him.

Personally, I think a VTM will smoke a 5150 and you'll be able to find it for a lot cheaper.

Archived