Extremely heavy decent sounding high gain pedal?

Voomek

• Members

Alright, I need exactly as the title suggests. Basically, I just joined a melodic death metal band, and I only have a Vox Nighttrain. I'm going to run it on the clean setting really loud and use a distortion pedal. However, I can't find a pedal that's reasonably priced and decent enough for death metal. Anyone have suggestions?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what is your budget? there are so much nice HigGain pedals on the market: Damage Control Demonizer, Okko Dominator, Wampler Triple Wreck, Emma Psy (what ever), Weehbo Morbid Drive...

checkout Kayzers Youtube Channel - he plays the right licks in demos of highgain stuff.

• Members

what is your budget? there are so much nice HigGain pedals on the market: Damage Control Demonizer, Okko Dominator, Wampler Triple Wreck, Emma Psy (what ever), Weehbo Morbid Drive...

checkout Kayzers Youtube Channel - he plays the right licks in demos of highgain stuff.

Probably around 100-150. It's looking like (especially with your post) I'm just going to have to wait until I have more money.

EDIT: I need heavy distortion really soon. We've already started practicing and writing. I've been borrowing other equipment as of late.

• Members

You can't get that tone at band volumes with a tiny amp like the Night Train. I would go so far as to say there aren't any exceptions to this rule. You need lotts of watts (I personally think even 50 watts is not enough) for the headroom needed to produce that tight palm muted sound, and you need a decent amount of speakers to put out the sort of low end you'll want too (a bare minimum of a 2x12, but preferably a 4x12).

• Members

blah, 5150 is my least favorite amp. bad noisy generic tone and they break all the time. better off with a friggin Randall of some kind... same generic tones but don't break as often.

the only reason is would sound generic, is because the 5150 is like the most recorded amp for metal in the last 20 years.

• Members

You can't get that tone at band volumes with a tiny amp like the Night Train. I would go so far as to say there aren't any exceptions to this rule. You need lotts of watts (I personally think even 50 watts is not enough) for the headroom needed to produce that tight palm muted sound, and you need a decent amount of speakers to put out the sort of low end you'll want too (a bare minimum of a 2x12, but preferably a 4x12).

+1000000 to this.

• Members

the only reason is would sound generic, is because the 5150 is like the most recorded amp for metal in the last 20 years.

Yeah, but the generic recorded sound of them isn't the same as how they generally sound live when they're cranked and loud, which is usually pretty {censored}ing awful, IMO. Dude should just get a Randall something... any of the newer ones can do the big heavy high gain sounds and it'll be less noisy and not break as much, as well as not weigh as much and you wouldn't have to fuss around with tubes. Tube amps are pointless with death tone, IMO. You could get a good high-gain rack preamp and couple that with a big clean solid state PA power amp driving a couple 4x12 and have a killer death metal rig.

• Members

Yeah, sorry man, the night train isn't going to do what you want at band volumes, really. I had one for about a year. Actually, what cab are you using with it? With a closed back 4x12, you'll get a surprising amount of bass, but it still is going to fall a little short of what it sounds like you want - in general, it's quite a bright amp.

For a modern sounding distortion pedal I guess something like the tech 21 character series - calafornia or whatever the mesa one is ought to do, not sure how much they are in the states though and ultimately you're going to want a bigger, deeper and tigher amp.

• Members

Yeah, but the generic recorded sound of them isn't the same as how they generally sound live when they're cranked and loud, which is usually pretty {censored}ing awful, IMO. Dude should just get a Randall something... any of the newer ones can do the big heavy high gain sounds and it'll be less noisy and not break as much, as well as not weigh as much and you wouldn't have to fuss around with tubes. Tube amps are pointless with death tone, IMO. You could get a good high-gain rack preamp and couple that with a big clean solid state PA power amp driving a couple 4x12 and have a killer death metal rig.

Man I love you breau, but your {censored}in crazy. I can't even think of how many bands I've seen that use 5150/6505's live and sound {censored}ing amazing. A band that comes to mind thats always sounded great live with 5150's is In flames.

And being the largest Peavey dealer/service center in the Province since they were released, I've rarely seen any break down.

• Members

All my friends in hardcore bands used them and they broke all the time and generally sounded awful. I don't like the tone they get at all. Almost all the big Peaveys sound harsh as {censored} when loud, and most hardcore bands would turn them up loud.

The difference here being that generally, alot of extreme metal bands tend to play with a rather quiet stage volume... I'm guessing that's because they realize how {censored}ty and harsh those amps sound when loud. I swear, Quiet 5150 and Loud 5150 are like two different amps. One is a cool-sounding high gain dream, and the other is an implement of ear torture.

• Members

All my friends in hardcore bands used them and they broke all the time and generally sounded awful. I don't like the tone they get at all. Almost all the big Peaveys sound harsh as {censored} when loud, and most hardcore bands would turn them up loud.

The difference here being that generally, alot of extreme metal bands tend to play with a rather quiet stage volume... I'm guessing that's because they realize how {censored}ty and harsh those amps sound when loud. I swear, Quiet 5150 and Loud 5150 are like two different amps. One is a cool-sounding high gain dream, and the other is an implement of ear torture.

Archived