Synths/Keys for post rock/ambient

D-River

• Members

Hi everybody! I'm searching for a synth/keyboard good for playing post rock/ambient stuff...my budget is about 400 euros (it is not a problem for me to buy used stuff)...I'm searching something capable of really ethereal, atmospheric and evocative stuff..I'm looking mostly for pads, theremin-like sounds, spectral droney stuff and chiming, bell-like sounds, but I'm always opened for experimentation; having also sounds of actual instruments like pianos, organs and glockenspiel could be useful but it is not my priority (until now I've used VST synths but I don't have a laptop and however I want a real keyboard)...I've figured out some sounds that I like a lot messing around with the Roland Juno-D of my keyboardist (which is also my best friend), but I want to consider some similar alternatives in the same price range, 'cause I don't want to buy an instrument that we already have in the band, and also suggestions of different instruments that can fit well in the style I play are welcome...I am not a skilled keyboard player but a guitarist that wants to experiment new sounds and at the same time learn a bit of keyboard playing...thanx a lot to everybody!!!

• Members

...I'm searching something capable of really ethereal, atmospheric and evocative stuff..I'm looking mostly for pads, theremin-like sounds, spectral droney stuff and chiming, bell-like sounds, but I'm always opened for experimentation;

I was going to say Blofeld or MicroQ but a Wavestation would work too. The effects on the Blofeld are surprisingly good. No need to buy an external effects processor.

• Members

I have to admit that the more I look at the Blofeld Keyboard the more GAS I get. Owning a MicroQ rack put a damper on my gas for the little desktop Blofeld unit, but the keyboard adds some nice extras. You might get some decent use out of its sample memory for playing samples that you put together on a computer (am I right that it has memory for storing and the ability to play samples but is not a "sampler"). Another thought I would add is don't be afraid of the small number of knobs; ergonomically I find Waldorf's button/knob interface to be very nicely designed and easy to fly on once you get the hang of it.

• Members

Another thought I would add is don't be afraid of the small number of knobs; ergonomically I find Waldorf's button/knob interface to be very nicely designed and easy to fly on once you get the hang of it.

This is absolutely spot on. I actually have more fun programming the Blofeld than the full blown Virus TI with 4X the amount of controls. For some reason the Blofeld seems more logical and intuitive. I use the Virus Control plug-in for programming the TI.

• Members

Wavestation A/D has a plethora of F/X. I'm, using mine as a stop gap FX box for now.

True, but I figured he needed keys and for ambient stuff, a dedicated reverb unit is best IMHO. I setup a hall-delay on my Lexicon for ambient stuff. Absynth sounds through it sounds great. ;)

• Members

(am I right that it has memory for storing and the ability to play samples but is not a "sampler")

You are right. You can load up samples in 60 MB of memory, and all that samples will remain even after you turn the power off (flash memory, ain't it nice? :D). That is a great thing.

Since flash memory is getting cheaper (and faster) by the day, I wouldn't be surprised to actually see newer keyboards utilizing flash memory over DRAM modules (which are volatile and thus you need to reload your samples at every power up) for sample storage. THAT WOULD BE SWEET. Imagine having GBs of samples ready to rock whenever you turn on the keyboard. Wouldn't that be nice and, most of all, convenient?

• Members

well, the reason i ask is because i think the two genres kind of dictate two completely different approaches.

if i were to be thrown into an ambient situ, then i'd have to ask "what kind of ambient?" and then go from there. English ambient? German ambient? Isolationist ambient? even then i'd probably put more money into an Eventide as I can pretty much make the same sounds wether it's a Korg Z1, a Juno-6, or an XP-80.

post-rock, it seems the keyboard of choice is the Nord Electro. or just save some money and buy a Fender Rhodes and put some money into new grommets, screws, and hammer tips.

EDIT: okay i actually went ahead an RTFTP. i think this guy needs a Korg Z1 and a Digitech Studio 400.

Archived