Just saw a raccoon on my driveway. In the UK!

• Members

If a raccoon approaches you then you SHOULD freak out. That's not their normal behavior. They're usually assumed to be a rabies vector here. If they don't act like you're a threat or become aggressive stay away from it and be careful handling anything it may have gnawed on like garbage and bones in an overturned trash can.

Rabies has been eradicated in the British Isles so it's not such a risk over here. That said, nobody has any idea where this raccoon came from. If someone brought it in illegally it won't have been through quarantine.

Yeah - be careful.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Raccoons are awesome. My Dad rescued a baby one that got trapped in the wall of our carriage house once. You should have heard the noise it made! I've been out on the porch in the summer when raccoons have wandered up onto it to eat some cat food. Sometimes raccoon factories. They love our compost pile too.

Dear UK- please send us hedgehogs. I would love for hedgehogs to be in my garden eating up all the bugs that like to eat my egg plant & cabbage!

• Members

Rabies has been eradicated in the British Isles so it's not such a risk over here. That said, nobody has any idea where this raccoon came from. If someone brought it in illegally it won't have been through quarantine.

Yeah - be careful.

• Members

This thread just got even weirder.

I hardly ever see hedgehogs these days. Where did they all go?

As far as i know Hedgehogs are becoming more and more rare. The usual thing - loss of habitat, climate change making them come out of hibernation too early and then starving, being squished by cars etc.

Our little island is too overcrowded, we've concreted so much of it, there seems very little left for wildlife. I'm not sure how we'd rectify that.

• Members

This thread just got even weirder.

I hardly ever see hedgehogs these days. Where did they all go?

The main reason for that is that Hedgehogs are idiots.

A few years ago I was getting into my car in my driveway and heard this cheeping noise. Sounded like a baby bird or something, and it was close, so I got back out of the car to make sure I wasn't going to run over something cute.

It turns out I was - a baby Hedgehog, crawling round in tiny circles in the middle of our drive. And it was cheeping away happily, really loudly. Then I heard another a few meters away... turned out there were four of these baby hedgehogs on the drive, exposed to preditors and car tyres.

So for the next few weeks, every time we pulled in and out the drive we had to be so careful not to kill them. It transpired that every morning the mother would carry them in its mouth one at a time from their nest to the middle of the driveway, then go off foraging for the day before taking them back in the evening. Obviously the mother thought hiding them under cars was the best idea. And yeah, the babies cheep like birds. And what's more, they answer back if you cheep at them. Which is pretty cute.

I've seen grown up ones every now and then in the garden since then, I like to think they might be the babies I managed to avoid running over.

• Members

I tire of Americans having problems with British spelling.

Who said I had a problem with it? I legitimately didn't know that.

Now aluminium? That's just straight trolling.

• Members

Now aluminium? That's just straight trolling

Before we all get hot under the collar about Aluminium ... The following is copy paisted from Wiki.

'There are two variants of the metal's name in current use, aluminium and aluminum (besides the obsolete alumium). The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[55] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[56]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States, the spelling aluminum predominates.[57][58] The Canadian Oxford Dictionary prefers aluminum, whereas the Australian Macquarie Dictionary prefers aluminium. In 1926, the American Chemical Society officially decided to use aluminum in its publications; American dictionaries typically label the spelling aluminium as a British variant.'

... There we are. Both are fine. But America is the minority with Aluminum.

Archived