Tips for enlarging a pickup cavity?

Crxsh

• Members

I'm going to put a G&L MFD Jumbo single coil into the neck of my tele. Found a semi-local guy who will cut the pickguard route for me, but I've got to make room in the body too. It's currently routed for a humbucker, but I've got to take it out a half inch or so on either side to make room for the wider pickup.

Here's a pic of the body from back when I was stripping everything out of it:

DSC05386.jpg

What tools would I need? Some sort of a routing bit for my drill? Or do you think I could get away with using a Dremel tool?

Also, any tips? What's the degree of difficulty here?

• Members

Yeah... any errors or ugliness will get covered up, but I'd like to do a nice job if I can. I borrowed a Dremel to do the bridge plate and may be able to get that one again... but any suggestions on how to do a good job would be appreciated as I'm just a bit nervous. This project has taught me a lot. Still stunned it's actually playable. :lol:

• Members

^ are you saying that they make router bits for drills, or suggesting you put a router bit in a drill

both seem dangerous

I've personally used a router bit in a handheld drill to widen a pickguard and shave a few cm. on a guitar to widen a humbucker route. Both worked great.

• Members

I've been curious about this too. Considering routing my cp jag for a jazzmaster neck pickup. What bit for a dremel would be best for this sort of thing?

the standard bit that comes with it is fine for small work like this... just takes some time...

Archived