Finding musicians.

Loobs

• Members

Another thing you can try to supplement the jazz jams is getting solo coffee house gigs or whatever. Build up a repertoire of standards and sprinkle in some original tunes to represent the "noisy angular mathy jazzy" direction you want to go in. It'll be like paid practice. And, if you're lucky, some like-minded musicians may hear you and want to do something.

This is what I was going to suggest.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Finding people is difficult. One "rule" I came up with is there is no band that can do everything and cover all the musical ground you like. It's just inherent that as soon as other people are involved, there will some limitation and also probably some things they want to do you're not into either. If you can get into something that really hits the target part of the time, you should try to be satisfied, because it's as good as it gets. Even though you will eventually be thinking about the things it can't do.

A lot of the better bands came out of things like being friends as kids, forces to find a way to make music together other than exact musical common ground. Looking back, I know I was naive about how much a commitment it really can be, to work together and pool ideas, all for no assured payment. On the other hand, there is a great potential, not just more instruments, but more ideas and emotions, but that's also the trouble.

Other than that, it can take a long time, try to enjoy some good jamz along the way.

• Members

I'm considering trying to get into jazz school thinking that hopefully that'll lead me to
meeting more open minded and talented players
, because right now it seems the creative/open-minded/able players out there are just eluding me. I have an advert up but doing this kinda stuff just seems so difficult. Rant over.

In reference to what spentron said, you have to be open minded as well. Some of the best groups I've been lucky enough to play with were made up of people with musical tastes vastly different from my own, but those differing tastes really informed the music. A musician's voice is born out of one's own limitations, and I've often found that the most creative and open players are not necessarily the most technically able. Just do what you love and don't get so blinded by your own "artistic vision" that you lose sight of opportunities to make meaningful music.

Archived