MXR Fullbore Metal: thoughts?

Faldoe

• Members

Need a distortion pedal. Considering building one via Madbean circuits or maybe buying something. I played a mxr at guitar center but of course it wasn't with my guitar and through a small amp. Anyone own one? Use it with a loud tube amp? Thoughts?

• Members

I love it, and think it's the best mass-produced metal pedal currently on the market. The EQ range is vast, and there is an internal trimpot to adjust the noise gate. Resale value is still pretty good on them too; they come up cheap once in a while, but usually they go for $75 and up.

• Members

just pricy stuff : but i like pedals with 3 band EQ in this case. my favorite is the okko dominator... my LAL Devil Tail is one of the brutalst pedals that i playd and the Demonizer is perfect for the Recti sounds

the Raihead TUA is intressting, also the Weehbo Morbid Drive and the new Maxon Tube Distortion - but i only know this 3 pedals from demos.

• Members

i play metal and all, but in general, i distrust any pedal that has metal in it's name. they almost never sound good, with a few exceptions.

Agreed,

I did own a fullbore for awhile, sometimes i really liked it, the noisegate was cool. But in the end i sold it and now prefer the sound of a tubescreamer into my crunchbox or amp distortion.

• Members

I bought a Fullbore as an emergency spare in case my amp craps out at a gig and I need distortion and a gate in a very small package. Having compared it to a Tight Metal, it's not as amp-like in terms of tone, but at half the price and half the size, I can live with that. Having a mid-sweep control is an absolute must for me, which is one area where the FB beats the TM.

• Members

I use the FB with an '66 Ampeg Gemini I, which is as "un-metal" as they come. I've said before the FB is my favorite hardcore distortion EVER.

The pedal has a trick tho. The EQ is very finicky, it definitely has some sweet spots. One of the knobs is a Frequency adjustment which toys with the mid eq frequencies. Dial that in correctly and you're good. Really sounds nice. Good bass, nice mid coverages to scoop the harsh ones right out.

If you get it try these settings: GATE: ON SCOOP: OFF

VOLUME: (unity gain for your setup) FREQUENCY: 4:30 GAIN: 3:00 & up BASS: 2:00 MID: 9:30 HIGH: 1:00......

This works for me, but I hate strong mids with heavy gain stuff. I use EMG actives and a ten band EQ as well, FYI.

Just take your time with. I've yet to find a {censored}ty MXR product. Working man's prices, great quality, no damn waiting list!

• Members

I think using it with as clean an amp as possible is pretty key. It has all the dirt you'll need, and anything additional is just going to crap it up. I don't even use an amp, I just go direct to monitors, and it sounds great that way, to my ears anyway. Another thing to consider is that everything about metal, including the gear, tones and production, is polarized; it's either loved or hated and there's never any middle ground.

• Members

Suhr riot is nice, but it doesn't do the chugga chugga thing. Tons of gain, but more in a fizzy '80s hair metal sort of way. And I know I might be alone in this, but I think there's enough similar sounding distortion pedals out there that don't cost as much.

Brootz on the cheap: Barber dirty bomb? But what I always say in these kind of threads: If you're serious about teh brootalz, don't mess with silly pedals. You can spend $350 and go on a waiting list for a pedal that sounds a tiny little bit better then a metalzone...But it'll never come close to the sound of even the cheapest hi-gain amp.

• Members

One pedal that people often overlook for heavy tones is the Sansamp GT2. The GT2 is my favorite distortion pedal. I use it on the following setting and it just slays:

Off Axis/Clean/California. Even though it's set to clean it's still heavily distorted on the California setting. Just make sure you get one of the older versions with the LED at the top of the pedal, the new ones have the LED off to the side and don't sound as good.

Archived