Tell Me About the Boss PS-3....

Wulver

• Members

Found a PS-3 in the local pawn shop for an even hundred. I seem to remember this being a fad pedal on HCFX for a while a few years ago, and as such I'm tempted.

So, quick overview of the pros and cons? Would it be useful just to have as a delay, maybe (my DE-7 is becoming more and more unreliable)? I would assume it's not an intelligent pitch shifter, so how difficult would it be to use for typical purposes? If it also functions as a vibrato it could potentially replace my BBE Mind Bender, could it possibly cop some Leslie-ish stuff?

Just, start me somewhere, that price seems like a decently good deal. Thoughts?

• Members

I have one. It's pretty good. I think the new ones come with a 250gb hard drive. Not sure about the one at the pawn, but older ones could play PS-2 stuff. Mode 7 should be available on all models and allows games to played faster AND slower and fed back into themselves getting really trippy, but some people think it's kind of a gimmick. If you put an Xbox in front and a Wii after it, it you can get some really nifty playing experiences. You should get a few of them and run them into each other and see what happens.

• Members

the chorus is great, the delay is very digital, the mode 7 is pure pitch shift ala heavy shimmer. Listen to cave in's jupiter and you'll hear the ps-3 in a lot of leads, great unique sound.

I've had two, sold one and I'm keeping the other.

Def a unique pedal.

• Members

I think I'm pretty much decided, this thing can do a lot of useful things. Gonna go by tomorrow and see how much in trade a BBE Mind Bender will get me towards it. I still have my phaser with which to do the pseudo-Leslie thing.

Hopefully it won't be gone before I get there. Will keep you guys updated.

• Members

My brother has one, I really like it, it seems like such a cool/useful to pedal to have, kind of like a multifx without the programming hassles, I like the chorus-y type sounds you can get, of course mode 7 is interesting, the delays are super crisp and present, the only quirk is that I'm not really able to work the exp-in mode correctly, I was expecting to do the whammy octave up thing and it seems to be a half-step flat when you try to get to the higher octave, could be my exp pedal tho.

If I see one for the right price I will definitely get it.

• Members

Buy it and flip it at TGP.
:p

271829.jpg

But, really though, the more I look into this thing the more potentially useful it sounds. It might not kick both my chorus AND my DE-7 off the board, but it seems like there's a lot of possibilities when combining it with the DE-7....swells and oscillations and synthy stuff.....