P-90 guitars, I think I want one...

IRG

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pascal - you rule.

Did you change out the pickguard on the Heritage? They have those weird looking angular pickguards now, stock.

And yeah, to own a semi/hollow guitar with P90s and not play some Grant Green licks on it is just wrong. My Special can cop a decent GG tone.

• Members

WHAT

IS

THAT

An ES-330...

Fwiw, I've never really enjoyed the 60s 330s I've played. Always felt unresonant and sounded dull to me. I guess there's a reason they're the fraction of a 60s 335. Maybe I played some lemons, or used the wrong amp. P90s like bright amps I think.

• Members

P90s like bright amps I think.

Grant was using a 5E3 Deluxe back on those classic early '60s Van Gelder/Blue Note records, it kinda makes sense - roll back your volume for cleans on that amp and the sparkle comes out. Thats the key to getting his sound.

• Members

Erksin, know anything about the pickups in this model? Black Dove p90s. Anything special about them? I'm starting to lean towards this model now, as my local dealer will give me a good trade in for my RW strat, as they seem difficult to resell right now. Great necks on these too.

bdtele02.jpg

• Members

Erksin, know anything about the pickups in this model? Black Dove p90s. Anything special about them? I'm starting to lean towards this model now, as my local dealer will give me a good trade in for my RW strat, as they seem difficult to resell right now. Great necks on these too.

I asked a while back and the consensus was that they are good, but a bit different from your typical P-90, maybe a bit more tight/less nasty. I'm thinking about putting p-90's in my Deluxe and am contemplating them.

• Members

I asked a while back and the consensus was that they are good, but a bit different from your typical P-90, maybe a bit more tight/less nasty. I'm thinking about putting p-90's in my Deluxe and am contemplating them.

Can you even buy these as aftermarket p-90s? I dont see them listed on their website even, except on this model.

Good review here: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/classic-telecaster-deluxe-with-black-dove-pickups-221670/review

• Members

Grant was using a 5E3 Deluxe back on those classic early '60s Van Gelder/Blue Note records, it kinda makes sense - roll back your volume for cleans on that amp and the sparkle comes out. Thats the key to getting his sound.

Yeah.

• Members

Can you even buy these as aftermarket p-90s? I dont see them listed on their website even, except on this model.

Good review here:

I called fender a while back and they gave me a part number for the pick guard and P-90. They said I could buy them through a dealer. I'm deciding whether I want to go that route or the terrapin pickguard/aftermarket pickup way.

• Members

1st, BLACK, 2nd, CHERRY, 3rd, White . . .

. . . here is another option, for P90 guitars :

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinicon3p.htm

H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer

" The H.D.R. revoices and augments the frequency range of each pickup and allows the player to go from passive to active pickups with the simple push of a button.

The H.D.R. provides extra bite, dynamic response and redefines the character of each pickup.

It

• Members

They did seem a bit tighter to me, but I dunno if I'd agree with the "less nasty" part. Maybe less nasty just because they're tighter? They definitely seemed like they had some hair (that said, my test drive was fairly brief). -E

• Members

1st, BLACK, 2nd, CHERRY, 3rd, White . . .

. . . here is another option, for P90 guitars :

H.D.R. High-Definition Revoicer

" The H.D.R. revoices and augments the frequency range of each pickup and allows the player to go from passive to active pickups with the simple push of a button.

The H.D.R. provides extra bite, dynamic response and redefines the character of each pickup.

It

Archived