10) Foxx Tone Machine

TAFM ftw for the most part.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Your taste in pedals ain't bad either!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't rank them on both quality and historical importance, because I haven't played a Maestro FZ-2 or much of the really pricey vintage stuff, but here are my favorites of what I've played:

1. Penny Pedals Fingerprint

2. mid-fi clari(not)

3. devi ever Never Drive

4. Shin ei Fuzz Wah

5. Skreddy Ernie

6. devi ever Dream Mangler

7. Ibanez 60's Fuzz

8. Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe

9. Death By Audio Octave Clang

10. Zoom Ultra Fuzz

• Members

1. Tonebender MKIII and all its variations. The circuit just can't do no wrong! hybrid, vintage germanium, straight-up vintage tonebender. All of them just make an electric guitar something else, man.

2. Sam Ash Jumbo Fuzz

3. Black Russian Big Muff

4. Jimi Hendrix series Classic Fuzz (the MXR-sized Hendrix pedals)

5. Jimi Hendrix Octavio (i know, Octave Fuzz, but goddamn did it make leads just scream the way only fuzzes do)

6. Fender Blender - only when the boost is activated

7. Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKII

8. FoxRox Captain Coconut Hybrid Fuzzfoot

9. Jimi Hendrix Turquoise Fuzzface

10. My friends American Flag Fuzz Factory. No other fuzz nor fuzz factory sounds as good as his, sadly. its the only one that can cop a great traditional lead fuzztone. my Vexter FF was just a noise maker compared to this particular fuzz.

honorable mention - Fulltone Soulbender. Because i felt that my #1 pick covered this ground, i just had to mention how the particular Soulbender i owned is the fuzz that had stolen my purity, and leered at me when i made her leave. I do miss that one, it still has my heart... maybe once i get some scratch together, the MkII will grace my life with its sweet smooth ass, gorgeous hair and singing voice once again. Seriously, I've played a lot of fuzz, some of them were nothing but jokes (albeit GOOD jokes), most of them were everything good about rock guitar, and the fact that i still pine for that particular tone really surprises me, considering the fact that there HAS to be a different Tonebender clone out there that can out do it. However, i anticipate paying out the ass, as the only one(s) that i've heard are the Buzzaround clones that are gaining attention, and D*A*M versions.

• Members

In my experience... (kinda hierarchical list)

1. Lovetone Big Cheese

2. A 1970 EHX Big Muff I tried. Can't find another Muff sounds like it.

3. SUFU Civil War

4. FHfx Algal Bloom

5. EQD Tone Reaper

6. Ox Fuzz

7. MJM London

8. EHX Muff w/ tw

7. need it

8. have 2 have it

9. must needs it

10. me wants the ring

• Members

Muff Triangle (A classic to me)

Jordan Bosstone (One of my go-to fuzzes, easy to mod)

Shin Ei FY-2 (With scoop mod)

Mosrite Fuzzrite

Ampeg Scrambler

Univox Squarewave

Diaz Texas Squarewave (Flat out nasty in a good way)

DOD Flashback Fuzz (Sounds great when going into a TS-808)

• Members

10. Guild Foxey Lady

9. Burns Buzzaround

8. Shin-ei fuzz

7. Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

6. Interfax Harmonic Percolator

5. Mosrite Fuzzrite

4. Solasound Tonebender

3. ZVex Fuzzprobe

2. Maestro Fuzztone

1. wait for it

Spaceman Gemini III

• Members

- my personal Top Five:

Nr. 1 Skreddy Zero - every setting sound good and it is the perfect muff for me and my setup

Nr. 2 EarthQuaker Devices Hoof Fuzz - the smoothest muff i ever playd... so easy with rolled back guitar volume and neck pu to get the Santana sound.

Nr. 3 Red Witch Fuzz God II - my favorite Fuzz Face... from standard vintage fuzz face tones to spacey creepy 8 bit sounds and back

Nr. 4 Blackout Fix'd Fuzz - very versatile, so much sounds in one box and all circuits together brings the br00tz with a lovely kind of fuzzz chaos

Nr. 5 EarthQuaker Devices Dirt Transmitter - a very pissed sounding fuzz... the bias knob is pure win and turnes the fuzz from 8bit sounds into a singing fuzzy drive...

- my Top 10 in random order judged only by demos and reviews:

Analog Alien Fuzz Bubble 45

D*A*M Meat Head

D*A*M Super Bee

EQD Tone Reaper

Skreddy Cognitive Dissonance MK II

Skreddy Pink Flesh MK I

Spaceman Rumble Fuzz

Top Tone Drive Gate 1

Wren and CuffTri Pi 70

Wren and Cuff Tall Font

• Members

1. Shoe Silver Apple :trollface:

2. Mellowtone Wolf Computer

3. G.S. Wyllie Moonrock

4. IC Big Muff

5. OS Mutantes Fuzz

6. Mosrite Fuzzrite

7. G.S. Wyllie Ironstone

8. Transistor Big Muff

9. Fuzz Face

10. Zvex Fuzz Factory

11. Soulkitchen Sugarbuzz (since I trolled)

• Members

In no particular order (maybe):

Lovetone Big Cheese (Just BIG and lovely and versatile)

ZVEX Fuzz Factory (Fun - and it really is a fuzz factory)

ZVEX Octane (I have 1, 2, 3 but I'm partial to the Octane 1) (Nasty - in a good way)

Analogman Sun Face NK275 (White Dot - will be getting a red dot in the mail soon) (Smooth and creamy for vintage blooze and beyond)

Analogman AstroTone (This just sounds so good. Stacks well with anything)

Analogman Peppermint (Dark) (Splatty, nasty, fizzy, dark - sounds great)

Analogman Pepperment (Regular) (See above, but brighter)

Foxrox Hot Silicon (Roaring beast)

Foxrox Hybrid (another roaring beast that can get spitty and nasty with the dirt knob turned up)

Wattson Superfuzz (Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Octave madness and a wall of snarl and doom)

Should also mention the Wooly Mammoth, which knocks stuff off of shelves, and the Rx Electronics Experience, another huge sounding monster with great octave up and swell.

(That makes 12 - hard to keep things at 10, especially fuzz).

• Members

I'm not a big Fuzz user but...

1. Zoom Ultra Fuzz - amazingly versatile, from a subtle clean boost or overdrive all the way to, velcro gated Fuzz and through to self oscillating theramin type stuff. Definitely a favourite of mine. Has both Muff-ish and Fuzz face-ish modes. Reasonably cheap too.I imagine that I'll still be using this in 20 years time.

2. EHX Big Muff - fun but I couldn't get it to cut through in a band situation. Completely disappeared in the mix.

3. Dano French Toast - also fun but had the same problem as the BM.

10. Guild Foxey Lady

9. Burns Buzzaround

8. Shin-ei fuzz

7. Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

6. Interfax Harmonic Percolator

5. Mosrite Fuzzrite

4. Solasound Tonebender

3. ZVex Fuzzprobe

2. Maestro Fuzztone

1. wait for it

Spaceman Gemini III

I like your approach, and your choices. :phil:

• Members

I can't really put them into an order, as the ones I like the most will vary from day to day and the sounds (or noise) I want to produce, so here are just a few...

EHX Big Muff - V4 (op-amp version w/tone bypass) and V6 (transistor version w/tone bypass)...

These are probably my favourites right now, especially in the tone bypass modes. Huge, full, walls of fuzz/distortion - the V6 is particularly fuzzy. They just sound pretty much perfect to me.

Lovetone Big Cheese - I really like this too, but not as much as the Big Muffs which I use for similar sorts of sounds.

Guyatone TZm5 Torrid Fuzz - great for 'vintage', broken fuzz tones on its own, but really comes alive when ran into another source of dirt (overdrive pedal, cranked amp etc.) and is amazingly versatile; whether you want anything from smooth sustain to extremely gated crackles, or from thin and spiky to thick and fat, this can do it.

Guyatone PS-030 Fuzz - Insane, high-gain, octave up superfuzz. REALLY aggressive sounding but can be dialled back for some subtlety too. Also capable of some very synth-like and ring mod-esque tones. It isn't something I can use all the time, as it is just so over the top, but I love it.

Colorsound IC Tonebender - This has been one of my go to pedals for a few years now. Doesn't have a huge amount of gain of its own, but it has more than enough for most situations (imo) and stacks really well with other pedals. Pretty versatile from rumbling bass to thin scratchy tones, I have used this in place of fuzzes as varied as a Big Muff and a Vox Tonebender.

Archived