How crazy do craigslisters/gear sellers drive you?

Stevenglass

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get these types of customers every once and a while. They literally have no interest in the product itself, just how much of a deal they can get. It's a very strange situation, and most of the time, they have that {censored}ty attitude, especially when they think they know how much markup is on everything. "HEY MAN, COMMON, I KNOW THIS {censored} IS MARKED UP AT LEAST 100%" "DUDE, I WISH!"

• Members

And they're cool with assuming it works? And you trust they're not gonna call you and say some bogus thing isn't working?

well for more expensive purchases like that its probably a good idea to exchange real phone numbers in case anything does go wrong :idk: granted they could easily change their number, but all of my deals so far on CL have been good. seems most musicians are reasonable people in that respect.

also just use your judgment if something seems fishy or sketchy buyer/seller

• Members

CL is an interesting place for sure. I've gotten a few incredible deals as a buyer (which is what keeps me coming back). Not so lucky as a seller though. Sold 2 guitars last week - first a MiM Strat for $225 with HSC. I meet this guys at a gas station but all day he's emailing me with questions and with every email he's admonishing me not to be late because he has to pick his kids up after we meet....he pulls up in his red BMW 25 minutes late. Next I meet another guy at my local GC to sell a PRS SE for $325 and he asks if we could go in and he play it. Absolutely...an hour and fifteen minutes later he is still trying to "bond" with it. I tell him either he buys it now or I'm selling it to the GC. and all that is after I had both guitars on CL for a month and a half

• Members

I'm with you guys on not wanting people to come to my house, but I've had nearly as scary of experiences going to peoples' houses to pick stuff up.

Case in point: Now mind you, I live in the metro St. Louis area, but you don't have to drive very far out of town to get to some really countrified areas. I'm going to buy a keyboard from a guy, says he doesn't have the car that day so I need to come to his house. Near the entrance to the subdivision, I have to stop on the road for 2-3 minutes while a herd of goats crosses the road.

His house is in a mobile home subdivision. I find the right one, go up to the door. This woman comes to the door and says, oh you must be here to see Bob (or whatever the guy's name was). He's out in his "office" (complete with air quotes gesture). Not sure if it was his wife or mom. I go out to the "office." It is a pull behind camper parked in the driveway on cinder blocks. I knock on the door, it opens, chain smoker smoke pours out of the door.

To this point, has all the makings of a cheap slasher movie. The "office" is apparently dude's redneck version of a man cave. Luckily, the guy was harmless. Of course he did spend 15 minutes or so "educating" me regarding his government conspiracy theories. He even gave me a DVD about them to take home, free of charge. Lucky me.

• Members

So I was trading pedals with a guy and he was supposed to come down yesterday. I got a text from him at the EXACT TIME we were supposed to meet and said he couldn't make it down. I rescheduled for tonite and I got a call from him. Turns out he lives quite a bit further north than Cinci, but reads the Cinci , Dayton, and Columbus pages since he can get to any of them in about 60-90 minutes. Since he can't come down he offered to ship me the pedal for free, evaluate it a couple of days and either ship it back to him or ship him my pedal in return. That's fine with me, but why couldn't we have {censored}ing done that in the first place? I'd have had the pedal by now! :mad:

• Members

So I was trading pedals with a guy and he was supposed to come down yesterday. I got a text from him at the EXACT TIME we were supposed to meet and said he couldn't make it down. I rescheduled for tonite and I got a call from him. Turns out he lives quite a bit further north than Cinci, but reads the Cinci , Dayton, and Columbus pages since he can get to any of them in about 60-90 minutes. Since he can't come down he offered to ship me the pedal for free, evaluate it a couple of days and either ship it back to him or ship him my pedal in return. That's fine with me, but why couldn't we have {censored}ing done that in the first place? I'd have had the pedal by now!
:mad:

watch out for the reverse scam where you never get the pedal but he starts harassing you for something in return...

Archived