How crazy do craigslisters/gear sellers drive you?

Stevenglass

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah dude. if i have any potential deals to be made buying or selling, i will say lets meet at a guitar shop. i dont want anyone to come to my house and see my amps and other {censored} i own. {censored} that noise.

That guy actually inspired me to never invite anyone to my house again. The first time he came over, he showed up 30 minutes before he said he would. I told him I'd be right back (my music room was right next to the living room), but the dude followed me right into my music room saying things like, "Wow, you've got a lot of stuff..."

Since him, I've brought people to the gas station across the street from me, the coffee house downtown, Wal-Mart parking lot, and even to my church. Never to my house, though. I don't want any other creeper knowing where I live, my family lives, or where my gear resides.

• Members

just posted a few pairs of Jordans on craigslist. One pair for 175 and one pair for 200.

First email from Ray. "I'm interested in both pairs. What kind of deal can you throw me on them?"

My reply. "Hey, how's 350 for both pair?"

His reply. "All i have is 100 bucks."

I didn't reply from there. He couldn't afford what i was asking on one pair. What makes him think that i'd cut him a huge deal for 100 bucks.

• Members

I think I've had more problems selling than I have buying. The worst is people complaining that they are to far away and I should give them a discount because it'll cost them gas money to get there. It's not really my problem if you live an hour away. I don't mind shipping, but the buyer should pick up the shipping cost. Right now I'm selling a practice amp for $100 and some chud wants me to ship it to PA for him but he doesn't want to pay the shipping. Seriously? Weak sauce.

• Members

I have no problem inviting someone to my house for stuff i'm selling. sure beats waiting for a no show.

obviously I won't invite them into my music room... i keep a tiny frontman next to the front door for a quick plug and check.

{censored} the guy who said "nah i trust you" and then two weeks later calls to say the pedal was broken when i sold it to him.

sorry dude i didn't invite you to my house to sell you trash.

something I don't understand is people who expect multiple purchase discounts.

I'm not a store, i'm not making profits, i'm not building reputation for future sales...

i just don't get it. I'd rather just wait for someone else who'll pay what I'm looking for, even if it means the same guy coming by again.

• Members

I had a guy once constantly demand that I let him come up to my apt to demo a pedal , just to make sure its working (although he just finished using it earlier in the day). This guy was super anxious the whole 2 minute transaction.

Meanwhile i was doing some painting in the apt and there was no way i was moving furniture to get to my amp/guitar

My reply " ahh no worrries, If there something wrong with it. I got your number , right?" With a psuedo thug-mug on my face ( not intentional) .

That got him not to pester me anymore

• Members

my craigslist selling has been very smooth. Never come to my house, pick it up at my work. and if you want a deal, you pick it up
today

my only problem is weirdos wanting to meet at like midnight or super late. creepy.

I think that's because you keep posting your phone number in the m4m classifieds.

• Members

No issues here with sellers on the Dallas CL other than one person who didn't respond to my text (he requested interested buyers text him) until 3 days later explaining it had been sold. That was sort of irritating even though I had found what I was looking for by that time.

I've had several buyers come by my place to check things out before buying them and I don't see why that's such a big deal. If someone wants to check it out, I have them come by during daylight hours or when people are around. If I was buying anything other than something on the lower end, I'd want to know that it worked, too. The buyers who have come by have been decent people with no shady behavior involved. I guess I'm lucky. My only gripe is the constant lowballing and tire kicking but I guess that's just part of doing business on CL.

• Members

i live for the occasions where someone will 'accidentally' show up with less than the agreed upon amount. i live in a very central location in my area so we always end up agreeing to meet near my home, so i have no time or gas invested in the transaction.

the last time it happened, i smiled and said, 'oh, that sucks'. got in my car and drove away. he was standing there looking confused. pfft.

i sold my hot rod deluxe in the parking lot of a red lobster. :lol:

• Members

depending on size of amp
:idk:
a combo is easy enough to carry to the meetup spot. or just meet in a parking lot of walmart or something with amp/cabs in your car ready to transfer to their car

And they're cool with assuming it works? And you trust they're not gonna call you and say some bogus thing isn't working?

• Members

i
live
for the occasions where someone will 'accidentally' show up with less than the agreed upon amount. i live in a very central location in my area so we always end up agreeing to meet near my home, so i have no time or gas invested in the transaction.

the last time it happened, i smiled and said, 'oh, that sucks'. got in my car and drove away. he was standing there looking confused. pfft.

i sold my hot rod deluxe in the parking lot of a red lobster.
:lol:

I had that happen once, only it was after driving an hour to meet the guy. Agreed upon price was $650, he shows up with $500. He informs me of this after trying out the guitar for half an hour. I quietly pack it up, walk back to my car, and drive away. He calls me and offers $600, and I hang up on him. The next day, he drives all the way to me, and when I meet him, I tell him the price is now $725 to cover my time and gas from the day before, plus a general asshole tax. He payed the $725.

• Members

I had that happen once, only it was after driving an hour to meet the guy. Agreed upon price was $650, he shows up with $500. He informs me of this after trying out the guitar for half an hour. I quietly pack it up, walk back to my car, and drive away. He calls me and offers $600, and I hang up on him. The next day, he drives all the way to me, and when I meet him, I tell him the price is now $725 to cover my time and gas from the day before, plus a general asshole tax. He payed the $725.

ahaha. {censored}in bold dude. BOLD

• Members

perfect. :lol:

• Members

My brother was trying to sell a 1958 Gibson hollowbody on CL a while back. He was constantly hounded with lowball offers like $1500, but he said the best one was when some dickhole kept calling him offering a George Lynch skull and crossbones guitar as a trade.

Plus he wanted a thousand bucks cash to make it even! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Archived