Adding a tailpiece to a les paul?

Stevenglass

• Members

Wouldn't it also change the way the guitar rings? I have a Jaguar and one of the great things of it is how that bridge system lets you hear a lot of extra (wonderful) details.

I would do it too, specially if it's possible to find one that doesn't need a drill.

• Members

Does a tailpiece like this influence the guitar's sound I wonder? Wanted one some time ago, too. Was looking at this one: It's an allparts replacement part

BB1200JH.jpg

I own the BB1200 pictured and I've played a Deluxe model with the stoptail. I didn't notice any difference...

Think it's all about the looks but it looks really good, imo.

• Members

If it was really that tone altering do you think i would keep it?

it's 20 dollars. the reason why they call it your guitar is because it's your guitar. you do what you want with it.

I would have preferred if you could have said why you felt it was a downgrade instead of just being an ass.

Go ride a bike or something

also i have a compressor so sustain ain't really a problem.. sustain for miles with any guitar

the biggest complaint with the trapeze on the Les Paul in the early 50's was tuning stability. Knock that trapeze just a little, and your tuning is boned.

• Members

the biggest complaint with the trapeze on the Les Paul in the early 50's was tuning stability. Knock that trapeze just a little, and your tuning is boned.

I think this was the reason i took mine off. It didnt go out of tune that much and really wasnt a problem, but when i went into the studio with it i just wanted to be safe and just never took the effort to put the trapeze tail piece back on.

for 20$ its something awesome you can try. I personally think it looks awesome and adds some mojo. It's all about making it your own. :thu:

• Members

I love these rivieras! i really wanted one but ended up getting my jazzmaster instead. Looks beautiful!

You don't have to drill holes... you can, but you dont have to. There are 3 holes on the metal tail piece plate. I just used the middle hole and made sure my strap pin was really tight to keep it stable. If you drill the other holes, it will be more stable but i didnt really find the need. As for the ghostly overtones, i didnt get too much of that. It was almost unnoticeable compared to my jazzmaster. If you use a higher guage string or something it might be a little more ringy. Personally, i think a lot of that has to do with the pickups and string angle behind the bridge. It's not nearly as steep of an angle compared to a jazzmaster. Its pretty close to where a standard stop tail is in length and angle. It might add a little bit more tension, but i didn't really notice any.

I think this was the reason i took mine off. It didnt go out of tune that much and really wasnt a problem, but when i went into the studio with it i just wanted to be safe and just never took the effort to put the trapeze tail piece back on.

for 20$ its something awesome you can try. I personally think it looks awesome and adds some mojo. It's all about making it your own.
:thu:

Great info, thanks. They do look really cool

Archived