Sign in to follow this  
Moustache_Bash

Best delay for dub?

Ibanez AD9.

It's what my favourite local dub/reggae guitarist used to great affect for years and who also consequently turned me onto Maxon/Ibanez.

What do you guys think is the best delay for dub/reggae?

Listening to some King Tubby right now, it's sexy.

King Tubby was all about the Space Echo mon... and as far as what's best, you'd be hard pressed to beat that. Remember - dub is all about the verb and lo-fi delays, and the Space Echo has both. I wouldn't want to use anything too "pretty" sounding.

Is this for live, or studio use?

Original dub, like Gun Fever, was all about the tape delay.

How good/bad was the boss "Space Echo" box that came out a few years ago?

if not the original Space Echo, the Boss RE-20 or El Capistan would be good. definitely a tape delay sound if going for the King Tubby vibe. a separate spring reverb would be essential as well (the Boss FRV-1 or similar is a good choice), Tubby used an old Fisher SpaceXpander. not sure if or how much he used the internal reverb of the Space Echo, but his signature sound was the Fisher. another huge aspect of his sound was the high-pass filter built into his mixer.

Is this for live, or studio use?

This is just a for fun question. But I'd be more interested in creating these tones live. While the Space Echo is perhaps the OG, I'd think something that let's you control the amount of repeats via exp. pedal would be good.

Delay pedals don't come anywhere close to an actual tape echo for dub. If you're really serious about it, save your money for a few months and by the right thing the first time...a Roland Space Echo.

Also remember dub is a producer's genre and a lot of it's tricks occur at a mixing board with recorded instruments and not live guitar playing.

I recorded with one of the legends of dub, the late Mikey Dread. He was fond of my Yamaha E1010 Analog Delay and used that quite a bit on the recordings that he produced for me.

You could go with a nice, solid state WEM Copicat. A bit cheaper than the Space Echo, and you can totally mess with the tape arm for crazy dub sounds. Adding spring reverb is also essential, hopefully your amp has it.

A static delay might sound good, but you won't be able to do any of the dub tricks with it. You need something with expression pedal control over the feedback at the very least. DL4 or Brigadier is what I use. Was unimpressed by the El Capistan.

You could go with a nice, solid state WEM Copicat. A bit cheaper than the Space Echo, and you can totally mess with the tape arm for crazy dub sounds.

totally :thu:

If you are doing live shit- a used dl-4 with expression pedal might be the cheapest, most user friendly, and close enough sounding option

Or an m9 with expression pedal too I suppose if you had the cash....