OT - Why doesn't anyone make clones of Magnatone amps?

butterknucket

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No it's not weird to like them, there's some interesting circuits. The Silvertone stuff is going up in price but there's still deals to be had in this market. The Magnatone stuff is cool too but the stuff most people are after has that vibrato that uses those varistors that are as rare as hens teeth. I've heard that nothing out there is spec'd like the ones they originally used. That might keep perspective builders far away from recreated those?

• Members

You can still find originals for much cheaper then it would cost to buy something like that new.

But check out this replica of the Tonemaster amp that Phil X uses in all those guitar demos on YouTube. At first they were calling it the Tonemonster but they changed the name for the production model for some reason.

http://www.frettedamericana.com/

http://www.frettedamericana.com/john_kasha_amplifier_evilrobot_phil_x_custom_214_2010-ai-1184.html

• Members

I've also owned a few Silvertones - a 1960s 1481 and a 1970 10XL, both were really great sounding amps. The 1481 especially - I really miss that amp a lot. Way better than any other Champ-style amp I've ever heard.

I got both amps for the combined cost of $50. :phil:

• Members

FYI- is anyone REALLY wants a magnatone, come do a tour of Milwaukee gear shops... every shop has at LEAST 1 magnatone in stock , there must be some local connection/distribution overstock back in the day around here.

personally, I dont like them as much as a Fender

• Members

Weber was on the verge of releasing a 1484 kit, but it got put on hold when Ted died. He loved them, apparently. They do sell new output trannys for them that are a improvement on the original without changing the sound. I put one in mine. Gives you a 8ohm tap too.

There is someone out there that sells Magnatone amp kits....can't recall the name and don;t seem to have it bookmarked. Google it I guess...

• Members

Its worth noting that magnatone did release amps which didnt have power transformers (410 for example) and this isn't safe and would be illegal today so you should always use an isolation transformer!

A guy is refurbing one and documenting it over on ax84 is anyone is interested in that sort of thing:

http://www.ax84.com/bbs/dm.php?thread=450056

• Members

FYI- is anyone REALLY wants a magnatone, come do a tour of Milwaukee gear shops... every shop has at LEAST 1 magnatone in stock , there must be some local connection/distribution overstock back in the day around here.

personally, I dont like them as much as a Fender

It's the conglomeration of Polka bands, no doubt. Magnatone/Estey marketed heavily to accordian players (Ampeg too).

Archived