OT: Massive Misconceptions you had about sounds before you knew what you know now.

Cirrus

• Members

- I used to think (based on an article I'd read in Guitar that I misinterpreted) that fuzz objectively was "bad" distortion because it was so primitive. Guitar technology has come so far that we can now achieve truly great high gain distortion, and it has to come from the amp itself. All pedal distortion is bad and primitive.

- Guitar players who don't spend most of their time shredding at impossible speeds are talentless and should be ignored.

- Playing fast is a mark of true ability on guitar.

- The Boss DS-1 sounds bad because it's digital.

- When you're playing through a high gain amp, it doesn't matter what guitar you play, because it all sounds the same. The amp is the important piece.

- Failing to realize that music theory is more a standardized system of communicating musical ideas verbally rather than a system of rules for a piece of music to be good.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to think bass guitar was distorted guitar.. and 6-string(normal guitars) was the clean guitar. Then I realized how silly that was.. because strats are the clean sounding guitars and les pauls are the distorted guitars. Then my friend brought over a ds-1... mind = blown.

facepalm.gif

• Members

I was always stuck in "the more pickups the better" mindset so wouldn't even look at Teles...I attempted to wire a bunch of random cheap pickups I bought stretching from the neck to the bridge of my strat copy. None of the switches or knobs worked but I had like 10 lbs of magnets on that bad boy and played through an old portable karaoke machine for a long time.

Also at one point I put all Low E strings on because some random dude in guitar magazine said heavier gauges are better for heavy tones. icon_lol.gif

Archived