OT: Massive Misconceptions you had about sounds before you knew what you know now.

Cirrus

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

-i thought heads had speakers too, too! :lol:
-i thought there was no difference between speaker and instrument cables
-i thought if you even lightly bumped tubes, they would fail
-impedance? schmimpedance.
-zoom 505? awesome pedal
-chorus? sure ill use it. (might be coming back to this a little bit, but not like then)
-bc rich warlock? sold.
-emg? bast pickups. (still never tried)

• Members

I had no idea what tubes were.

After working all summer in HS, I bought a Laney GH50L head and matching cab. No idea it had tubes, or how the channels worked.

All I knew is that it wasn't loud enough clean for my pedals. (Ibanez Smashbox & DOD Death Metal)

Traded it for a cheap guitar and a Fender M80 solid state head. :facepalm:

At the time, I thought it sounded WAY better.

---------------

The other really stupid thing I did as a n00b was trading gear at music stores. Ouch. got ripped off, and I couldn't buy good tone or chops. :freak:

• Members

"Heavier gauged strings? Pshh, I'll keep my 10's when downtuning to Drop G, thankyouverymuch."

"Believe me, you need a tube amp. Solid state sucks."

"I don't know how anyone can play guitar without pedals."

"You can't hear me?! What are you talking about, I'm playing a 100w Peavey ValveKing with matching 4x12 cab! No, I won't re-EQ or turn down the gain!"

:facepalm:

• Members

1. Once a drummer, only a drummer. Eight years after branching out to other instruments and good enough to play several of them out, I now understand that no such limitations exist.

2. Steel guitars are annoying. Turns it is was just a few particular artists that annoyed me. I love to listen to Jerry Douglas play.

• Members

I also used to think guitars with solid finishes were made of plastic and the wood ones were the kind with sunbursts or clear finishes. To be fair iwas playing a millennium iceman that did feel like it was made of plastic.

I thought that as well. I had a Hondo strat copy.

I also thought that whammy bars were used by moving them side to side. I was so confused when I rotated it and my guitar didn't sound like a horse.

• Members

I was told when I started learning to play bass, I needed a 4x10 or things just wouldn't sound good. The truth: my amp has left my house twice in the 3 years, while I play direct to the PA at every church.

I fear selling the beast, because THAT is when I will be asked to provide my own amp.

• Members

IM SORRY WHAT!!!

Teles can sound awesome, but I'm amazed at how often I'm at a show and the tele player has painfully piercing treble issues. For example, I went to see Calexico just last night. Joey played his 60's res-o-glas airline and it sounded amazing and unique. The other guitarist played his tele on every other song (sometimes he was on lap steel or Dano baritone) and the sound was always thin and waaaay too trebly. Yeah, it cut through and his playing was excellent, but the tone was boring and unpleasant to listen to, in general.

..........and I'm sick of seeing that so many musicians limit themselves to 3-5 categories of guitars. Doesn't anyone want their own sound any more?

• Members

I started taking guitar lessons when I was around 11 or 12 and I was talking to my teacher about how and why different amplifiers were louder since I was a novice and had no real understanding about tubes vs state and wattage and all that. I forget what prompted my comment but he mentioned some specifics on why he wouldn't use a particular Marshall amp live due to it not being loud enough and I mentioned to him that I saw an ad for a new Marshall amp that 'goes to 11'. I thought this helpful knowledge would not only help him but also demonstrate how I knew what was what.

He seemed slightly unnerved for a minute trying to figure out if I was playing a gag on him but he eventually told me that it was just some special anniversary Marshall for 'Spinal Tap' that wasn't special in any way and certainly didn't 'go one louder'. I think I responded with just a blank stare since I had no idea what he was talking about and he just shook his head. We continued on with the lesson.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TravvyBear

View Post

I thought heads had tiny little speakers in them.

My favorite guitar player at the time used a bassman, so I would crank the bass to 10 on my Fender Stage 160.

I thought tremolo was delay.

I thought a small clone would make me sound like Nirvana.

Come on, you've confessed this much. Who was it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LSDis4me

View Post

The third pedal I bought was a Boss noise gate. It didn't make any difference in my signal. I didn't have any noise to start with. facepalm.gif

My first pedal was a Boss CH-1 Super Chorus. Being able to play Merry-Go-Round music was not so cool needless to say.

Archived