OT: Massive Misconceptions you had about sounds before you knew what you know now.

Cirrus

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I thought there were little speakers inside Marshall heads that accompanied the bigger speakers under it.

My mother proposed that to me a few weeks ago. :lol:

Before I purchased my 6505, I used to think the Metal channel on my Line 6 Spider sounded great.
And also, I used to think that Boss and Digitech were the only people that made pedals.

• Members

I have an embarrassing one... I bought a Black Sabbath cd when I was around 13-14 yrs and thought there was something wrong coming from the right speaker on paranoid guitar solo... promptly returned to the shop to complain and got a different copy... same problem!!!

after years of being disappointed with that noise I learned about ring modulation

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dman11

View Post

I used to sing AC/DC's "Dirty deeds and the thunder jeep!" like forever. my friend never corrected me as I sounded like an ass.

lol

I used to think the amp sends electricity to the guitar who modifies it and sends it back.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldenglove

View Post

I used to think that in order for music to be heavy, it had to have powerchords, and that single notes sound whimpy - only after looking at some Machine Head tabs, I realized that a lot of heavy stuff uses single notes.

Ahh... Machine Head; how I miss thee. Groovy thrash FTW. smile.gif Is The Blackening as good as people say it is? confused.gif

I didn't understand/know about studio overdubs. I couldn't understand how some bands with only one guitarist had TWO guitar sounds happening at once! eek.gif

And I, too, used to scoop my mids. cry.gif

• Members

The Blackening is their only record I own (I'm not that big of a metalhead, so I'm not interested enough in them to buy their other stuff) - it is pretty good. I used to listen to it last year when I had to wake up at 5 a.m. - it's just a {censored}load of tight riffs and harmonized solos. I'm a bit ashamed of the fact that I like it, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldenglove

View Post

The Blackening is their only record I own (I'm not that big of a metalhead, so I'm not interested enough in them to buy their other stuff) - it is pretty good. I used to listen to it last year when I had to wake up at 5 a.m. - it's just a {censored}load of tight riffs and harmonized solos. I'm a bit ashamed of the fact that I like it, though.

You should seriously check out Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change... Incredible groovy thrash albums. Very tight songwriting. Tight riffs. Good stuff.

After that, they kinda veered off into n

• Members

I used to think that mids sucked, so I'd turn them completely down to zero. After doing that for years and struggling with being heard in the mix, I finally had a friend (a drummer, to boot) ask if he could help me with my tone. He walked up to my amp, turned the mid knob to noon, and I suddenly had the tone that I had been looking for. facepalm.gif

I also used to crank my gain to 10 and wonder why the chords were so muddy and indistinct.

I used to think that tube amps were silly, and I loved crystal clean tones. Now I still love the clean tones, but something a little more creamy.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by janimarj

View Post

I used to think that electric guitars sounded distorted by default. Then I got my first electric for a christmas present and strummed it. facepalm.gif

heh, I had a similar experience. When I first started playing acoustic I had a friend on the internet show me his electric and he told me it went acoustic or electric and he just hit the OD button on his {censored}ty practice amp lol.

• Members

The first time I learned about drop d tuning I thought it meant you dropped the high E, not the low one.

I remember I first read about it looking up a tab for a static-x song which is practically one chord (im with stupid) in retrospect the fact I needed a tab for that is a facepalm in itself.

Oh yeah, also because of nu metal I didn't realise that most guitars aren't tuned that low and the majority of bass players get by on 4 stings.

• Members

I used to think there was only one type/brand of each effect. like, i went to sam ash in new haven and asked for "the flanger" and then purchased the boss bf2 they gave me and used it on bass. Later on i realized flanger was a generic term and also that i dont really like flangers and also that playing guitar is more fun than playing bass.

I also used to think guitars with solid finishes were made of plastic and the wood ones were the kind with sunbursts or clear finishes. To be fair iwas playing a millennium iceman that did feel like it was made of plastic.

Archived