OT: Massive Misconceptions you had about sounds before you knew what you know now.

Cirrus

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was 5, I was obsessed with a live performance I saw on TV of Clapton in the 80s. I couldn't believe what i was hearing (distorted guitars), and I always wondered how to make an electric guitar sound like that. My brother's know-it-all (actually a know nothing bull{censored}ter) friend assured me he ran his guitar through a devide called a 'squeak', and I believed him.

• Members
I had no idea that amps could create distortion for a long time; I thought distorted sounds had to come from pedals.

I thought that too when I first started playing. The first on-the-verge-of-breakup tone I noticed when I become aware of tone was The Beatles rooftop stuff. I asked a Beatles superfan I know what pedal they used to get that sound and he was like :facepalm:

• Members
I used to think that mids were bad,
and
that chorus was a useful effect, that
also
sounded great with distortion.
:o

I loved my Crate GX130C so much.
:lol:

Me too :lol: I think back to the first gigs I did with a out of tune squire strat, going through 4 dano mini pedals into a 100 watt carlsbro (do you get them in the states? This thing was totally {censored}!) amp with the lower and upper mid knobs turned totally off.

The first time we played a gig with a sound guy, he suggested I wouldn't cut through with the sound I had and I was totally offended that he was crapping on MY TONE.

• Members

When I was like 12, I asked my guitar teacher which pedal I should get to make my guitar's notes sound really short. He had no idea what I meant so I pointed out some songs that had that sound in it. He revealed to me that I don't need a pedal to make that sound and told me what they're actually called:

"Palm mutes".... face palm.

• Members

This is all more than 10 years ago, but;
-I thought transistors were better than tubes, because you didn't have to replace them after some time

-I also thought that distortion came from pedals, not the amp.

-I thought that the gain and volume knob did the same thing, untill someone showed me how to properly use them.

-I almost quit playing because my amp at the time could not produce chimy inbetween gain sounds like a vox. I thought it was my technique. When I played a good tube amp for the first time I couldn't believe my ears; it was the amp that was bad, not me.

-I thought all pickups sounded the same, only some were humcanceling, like humbuckers.

-I thought compressors existed solely to get palm-mutes to sound tighter.

-I thought digital modelling amps & rack fx made tube amps & stompboxes obsolete.

-I thought you could compare amps just on features like the ammount of speakers & wattage, but that they sounded basically the same beside that.

-I thought people chose electric guitars because of their looks only and that most electric guitars sounded basically the same.

Archived