Good octave down pedal?

Grantus

• Members

Hi, everyone

Refugee from the electric guitar forum here. I'm looking for a good octave down pedal that isn't too synthy (sythie?) sounding. I don't really need it to have fuzz -- I have a couple of fuzz pedals that work just fine.

I have an Electro-Harmonix POG2 pedal that I may sell. To my ears, it's a bit synthy sounding (a little less so if I run a dirt pedal in front of it) and it has a lot more features than I really need.

Any suggetions?

• Members

For analog bass sounds nothing tops the Octave Multiplexor

This.

After seeing Robo rock one of these with great success I picked one up myself. I love the way it sounds and feels. I use my HOG for more complex octave "synthie" stuff but for straight down low it's the Octave Multiplexor all the way.

• Members

I've had the Octave Multiplexer and it indeed sounds nice. But being analog, only one note at a time. It gets confused pretty easily. I have a MicroPog now, and really like it. Yes it does sound a bit more synthy, but it depends what you put after it too. It tracks so much better, and depending on your needs may be the better choice.

• Members

Do you need it to be polyphonic or are you only planning on using it for single note stuff?

Maybe the micro pog would be the best bet - I dunno how they sound compared to the pog 2.

the Foxrox Octron is by far the most organic sounding (and analog) octave down. its well worth the moneys. sounds far better for octave down stuff than the micropog or boss octave pedals. the octave up on it can't do clean or polyphonic, so if you need that then the micropog is for you, but if you only need octave down then youre good. with the micropog i think you'll run into the same 'synthy' sounding problem as your pog2.

so yes, check out the Octron. its sick. works best on the neck pickup (if you have S-1 switching like i have on my strat, use that too) as long as you play cleanly it will track everything pretty well and do an impressive bass imitation.

• Members

Maybe I need to experiment with more dirt pedals in front of my POG2. I seem to like it fine at times and find it too synthie at other times.

IMO, try a light OD after to help tame that plastic cheesiness inherent with digital pitch shifting

• Members

I've been using a Morpheus DropTune at band practice when our bassist has been absent, and it is far superior to the Boss OC-3 in every category as far as I can tell. I also used it when jamming with a friend who uses alternate tunings for various songs, as the DropTune tunes down in half-steps all the way to a full octave.

• Members

need a comparison between:

morpheus droptune

morpheus bomber (diff?)

whammy DT

ring thing (w /exp)

I've got a Whammy 4 and a ring thing so I could compare those two, anyone got whammy DT/morpheus stuff? we could agree on a riff to play in different modes and put it all together.

• Members

boss ps-6 mayhaps

Well, I know that i'd never recommend a PS-5 to someone for this purpose. When I tried the 6, the lag was there and the octaves didn't sound that much cleaner.

I like the DOD Octoplus. It has a tone knob which is cool aside from it being -1 octave.

-2 octave is of no use to me really.

I need to try an octave multiplexor..

Archived