Waldorf Micro Q vs Access Virus (?)

MarkM13

• Members

Several years ago I bought a used Virus Indigo, played it for about a year, and then sold it for the original purchase price. I put the money toward the purchase of my Polar.

Keywiz, how does the Indigo compare to the Polar? Is the Polar light years different or just a little better?

• Members

Well,

I listened to about every Q and TI demo on line I could find. I decided I really wanted a Virus but just couldn't swing the dough for the Snow TI. Which got me thinking of a Classic. The only problem with the classic is the size. I want to use this live and in the studio.

Through out all of this I had been ignoring the Blofeld for reasons I won't bore you with. Once I gave it a good listen I discoverd I dug the sound much more so than the Q. Plus with the used Blofelds running about $200 more than a Q I figured it would be worth spending the extra for the Blofeld.

As much as I love the TI concept, I'm not willing to have to go into debt (put it on the CC) to get it.

I haven't picked up a Blofeld yet, but once I get the cash together I will.

Thanks for all the advice...

• Members

The Blofeld!

Thank you to all that contributed to this most useful thread.

My logic was as follows:

-After much listening I decided to scratch the Q. Several folks suggested

the Blofeld but at the time the lack of Multi Mode was a deal breaker for me.

As such, I didn't even listen to it.

- Decided to save my pennies/ sell off some gear for a Virus Snow. While doing so came across a Virus Classic for a good price. Figured that was my answer. Until, I started considering how I was going to haul/rack it for live performance. My rack would have grown significantly. I was concerned.

- While pondering this I read that an update for the Blofeld now contained a completed "Multi Mode". Suddenly I was interested. Esp. given it's size.

I went to the Waldorf site and listened to all the demos. I really liked what I heard. Even as much as the Virus demos.

- When I came across a Blofeld on NovaMusik for $575 I pulled the trigger.

It should be here this week.

So, thanks again to all.

Something does tell me though that a Virus will be in my future ;)

Mark

PS This whole synth search started back in Nov. when trying to decide between a used Triton Rack or a Roland Phantom or a Motif Xs rack....

My what a long strange trip it's been.

• Members

this might interest you then:

"Winter NAMM Show 2009

15/01/2009:

(...)

License SL is the Sample Play Option for Blofeld Desktop. With this license, 60 Megabyte of Sample Flash Memory are available for factory or user samples. These samples and multisamples go through Blofeld's synthesis engine just like oscillators

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

and the winner is........

The Blofeld!

Thank you to all that contributed to this most useful thread.

My logic was as follows:

-... Decided to save my pennies/ sell off some gear for a Virus Snow...

- While pondering this I read that an update for the Blofeld now contained a completed "Multi Mode". Suddenly I was interested.. and listened to all the demos. I really liked what I heard.

- When I came across a Blofeld on NovaMusik for $575 I pulled the trigger.

So, thanks again to all.

Something does tell me though that a Virus will be in my future
;)

Mark

Well, the future is NOW... the Blofeld is going back today and a TI Snow is on it's way. :facepalm:

I kept running into one bug after another on the Blofeld OS. Upon receiveing the synth I joined their user group. Beta developers are part of the group.

Every time I'd hit an issue and think I was missing something I'd email the group and receive a response along the lines of, "It's a known issue that's being worked on". While frustrating I thought it was very cool to have a direct line with the developers. I did find work arounds for many of the issues I was having; the biggest which included:

- Patch changes in multi mode didn't function

- Sequencer patches had random tempo fluctuation

- Notes would often get stuck

I delt with these issues while waiting for the .12 update only because I really liked the sound of the unit and how programable it was. However, when working on a tune the other nigh it started emitting randoms low pitched sounds. When I noticed myself spending more time dealing with the Blofelds quirks rather than playing it, I looked into my return options.

I liked the Blofeld and really wanted to love it but the unstable OS made it so frustrating.

NovaMusik had a 30 day return policy and had an open box Snow available.

Seeing my 30 days was up this week I sent the Blofeld back. I'm hoping for a less trying time with the TI Snow.

Many posts ago I decided on a Snow but was led off that course.

I should have held my course:rolleyes:

This whole synth search started back in Nov. when trying to decide between a used Triton Rack or a Roland Phantom or a Motif Xs rack....

My what a long strange trip it's been.

Indeed it has

Archived