The Return Of the Freekish....

Stevenglass

• Members

Yes. If they administrate their own server then all they have to do is post a picture that's hosted on their server. The server will log the IP address of everyone that views the picture. Unfortunately, if they post the picture on the open forum then it will log
everyone's
IP address, including lurkers and search engine bots. If they want the IP address of a specific individual then they can send the picture in a PM. All you have to do is open the PM and they've got your IP address.

In most cases, only your ISP can translate your IP address into your identity, so the best they can usually do with an IP address is determine who your ISP is and your general geographic location. If that bothers you then consider accessing this forum, or any other, through an anonymous proxy.

What if I am using the program Ghostery? It is supposed to hide stuff.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Peterson View Post

Phil,

I can send you all the IP's and deleted posts if you like. We remove the obvious trolling and flame posts but they are still there (as you know).

We don't allow this sort of behavior on our board either. It's unfortunate that some folks abuse their HC membership in this manner.

It'd be in Scott Peterson's best interest to never consider doing such a thing. He can take that as a threat if he'd like...

• Members

What if I am using the program Ghostery? It is supposed to hide stuff.

Ghostery is designed to protect your privacy mostly by allowing you to block things that are used to track your internet surfing habits. For example, you might do a search for guitar strings. The next web site you visit might display a Google Adsense ad featuring guitar string vendors, even though the site itself has nothing to do with guitar strings. Ghostery can detect and block this sort of tracking information.

Ghostery gives you the option of blocking images with a variety of different criteria. For example, you could choose to block images that are hosted on a different domain than the web page you're viewing. That would effectively stop someone from harvesting your IP address on someone elses forum, but it would also stop you from viewing any images that came from any other site, including images posted by other forum members.

One thing that Ghostery cannot do is stop your IP address from being transmitted over the internet. No software you install on your computer can do this. Your IP address serves as the return address for any information your computer requests, including web pages. Without a return IP address a web server won't know where to send the requested information, and you wouldn't be able to view any sites at all.

What a proxy server does is to receive your browser's request for a web page, image, or any other bit of information. It strips your IP address from the request, substitutes it's own IP address, and adds a little ID that it associates with your real IP address, and it sends the request to the web server you're trying to access. The web server knows only that it got a request from the proxy server, and it includes the full return address in the packet it sends back. The proxy server collects the ID code, looks up the IP address that corresponds to that ID code, and then forwards the packet to your computer. The web server logs the request from the proxy server, but only the proxy server knows the real IP address that made the request. You use and view the internet more or less as you normally would, but your IP address is hidden by the proxy server.

• Members
Alpha Drive for sale on Ebay.

"Selling my Freekish Blues Thaddeus Hogarth Signature Alpha Drive. This is the original version of the Alpha Drive that created so much controversy (search Google and you'll get all the info you want on the controversy surrounding this pedal). Despite all that, it does have a great tone with simple but effective controls - overdrive, volume, tone and a switch for blues/rock.

The pedal is physically in good condition; however, for full disclosure, please note that I opened the pedal to check the electronics (see gut shot). Due to two of the enclosure screws being basically "glued in", they were drilled out. This did not affect the pedal other than minor cosmetics (and now only two screws). One small ding on the front and that's it! Tonally, the pedal works great and you can get that "dumble-like" tone.

As a bonus, I am shipping along with the pedal the "Live at Bose II: The DVD - Thaddeus Hogarth" that was sent when I purchased the pedal. Never opened.

Shipping to lower 48 USA only. I will use USPS Priority Mail to ship with a delivery confirmation. No returns accepted. Thanks for looking."

FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

FB3.jpg

FB4.jpg

2012 - THE CONSPIRACY CONTINUES

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived