The Return Of the Freekish....

Stevenglass

• Members

Dude, he had a good run. It was like a license to print money there for a while. I'm sure there were no end of investors lined up to get a taste of that sweet, sweet Freekish Kash.

A solid argument. However, I googled "astro group," "astro group holdings," etc, and can only find an Indian software company, and a bunch of astrology clubs. Neither would likely be buying the name of a fraudulent pedal builde... er, design... no, uh, whatever this boob is.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The more I think about this situation after looking at the homepage, I realize this guy behind Freakish pedals has some huge, huge balls. I'm tempted to buy one of the pedals just to support someone who dares to be so blatant in his actions. I really don't know if the correct reaction should be one of righteous consumer indignation or complete and total awe.

• Members

The more I think about this situation after looking at the homepage, I realize this guy behind Freakish pedals has some huge, huge balls. I'm tempted to buy one of the pedals just to support someone who dares to be so blatant in his actions. I really don't know if the correct reaction should be one of righteous consumer indignation or complete and total awe.

You're getting confused between 'has some huge, huge balls' and 'is a complete prick'.

• Members
Dude, he had a good run. It was like a license to print money there for a while. I'm sure there were no end of investors lined up to get a taste of that sweet, sweet Freekish Kash.

A solid argument.

Um. I was being sarcastic. I think the "name" of "Freekish Blues" is about as valuable as "Edsel" these days.

• Members

Interesting given that every other side by comparison shows them as identical

I guess thats the 'new' red dot so it SHOULD be different, or they are truly mad

This has been gone over already. Joyo changed their design. The new Alpha Drive circuit boards look identical to the old versions of the Joyo drive that were posted everywhere when this story first broke over the summer.

• Members

Imagine for even a second that some new ownership group exists. Imagine now that they are so bad at business that they make Ken sign a non-compete clause. What exactly will Ken not compete with? Buying more pedals, doing a couple part swaps, repainting them, and selling them? I'm not even sure what Freekish Blues has even done already could be considered competition in the purest sense of the word.

• Members

The Gear Page is run and moderated by religious zealots. Praise and worship. Censorship. Arbitrary bans and suspensions. Then they have the nerve to come to this site and offer up ip addresses to the moderators so they can ban members here that they have banned on the gear page. They are full of their own omnipresence. They suck.

• Members

The Gear Page is run and moderated by religious zealots. Praise and worship. Censorship. Arbitrary bans and suspensions. Then they have the nerve to come to this site and offer up ip addresses to the moderators so they can ban members here that they have banned on the gear page. They are full of their own omnipresence. They suck.

Did they really do that? That's strange. The whole point of a being a moderator is having the ability to be trusted and for you not to step outside of your own website, unless the judicial law is directly involved, such as if someone reported being raped or something. You should never tell other websites the IP addresses of your own users for the reason of banning them from those websites too.

• Members

hah i doubt they would actually go through with giving out IP addresses. anybody want to post their privacy policy here? i'm suspended so i can't see it but with their track record of lawsuit paranoia i bet they wouldn't dare give out personal information like that :lol:

• Members

Many regular posters over there really pushed the Alpha Drive until the debacle took place. Certain brands have an almost deified status over there, and anything other than glowing praise results in being smacked down by users and mods.

There was a time when posting any audio clips of a modeler wod result in one of the mods posting that the AxeFX would do provide much better results. That's fine, but he and other users would pretty much shut down discussion of anything other than the AxeFX. That aspect seems to have changed, but the place is still weird. I think it's problems stem from the viral marketing efforts of a number of users and, perhaps, a few builders who post there. Much of the information one finds on TGP is circumspect at best-even more so than what is typically online.

Perhaps the climate is what has pushed the mods to act as they do. What goes on at a private site is entirely the business of those who own and run it. However, I was alarmed by TGP mods aggressively posting here and trying to influence how HC members partipate in this forum. The IP address issue, to me, constituted a serious breach of trust and was an issue of attempting to limit and control discussion through cyberbullying techniques.

Like many others, I take web freedom seriously and oppose censorship. Phil and the HC staff are the only ones who have a role in what goes on here. The gall of TGP moderators to attempt to dictate how another forum operates is a sign of personality issues or an attempt to move from being a gear website to being a gear marketing site.

• Members

Well, we were ripping on them. It's only natural to want to lash out, even if it is in a sneeky, underhanded way. If you keep poking a religious nutter who is all about "peaceful teachings from the Bible", even he will eventually snap and snap your {censored} up. Like in Fight Club when they all got out and annoy random people in the street hoping to get them to fight, and some Priest with a Bible ends up getting into a fist fight.

• Members

True, but attempts to "police the web" to remove content which one finds objectionable is laughable. When a group threatens to divulge personal information in an attempt to dissuade others from posting their thoughts, what exists is, at least in my mind, a mild form of cyber terrorism.

Had a moderator posted on here that specific users really suck, are jerks, etc., I could see the act as a justified retort. However, threatening to release IP addresses and using the tone that his umbrage was sufficient to result in a user being banned from HC was an attempt to limit what users say on other sites.

Open and honest discussion of gear is a benefit for consumers and manufacturers. To a degree, gear sites are free market research tools for companies and a tool consumers can use to voice complaints and praises to push companies to behave more competitively. Attempting to limit the effectiveness of such forums, however limited that role might be, is an assault on capitalism and consumer rights.

As a purchaser, I am beginning to shy away from companies which appear to rely heavily on TGP as a marketing tool. The actions of the mods and users at that site has led me to question the validity of the information presented there. Obviously, one should not base a purchasing decision on the information available online, but a substantial number of consumers do rely, to an extent, on the web for assisting them in making an informed purchasing decision. Consequently, as a result of the FB drama, I will always wonder what is really up with something being overly pushed or criticized at TGP.

• Members

I honestly stopped listening to TGP when I found out so many of them were 45 year old engineers and dentists who never went heavier than AC/DC. This time, two or three years ago, I was reading about pedals and amplifiers and how awesome they were. I proceeded to buy said pedals and amplifiers based on the knowledge of TGP, to find out that said pedals and amplifiers were awesome for soft styles of music only, not heavy styles. And TGP even have said that you could play heavy music on said pedal or amplifier, but their version of heavy meant AC/DC.

Meaning of the story: don't take to heart the opinions of those that play different styles of music because they have very different ears, and blues guys tend to overhype things greatly. They used to say how the BJFe HBOD had the best clean-up ever. But when I tried the pedal based on that viewpoint, I found the pedal had so little gain and ballz that it would have taken an idiot to design a pedal like that WITHOUT a great clean-up ability. It takes a wizard to build a Soldano, crank the gain and still achieve an almost as clean tone as a HBOD when rolling back the volume knob.

In other words, bull{censored}, fairy dust-sprinkled hype.

• Members

AGF, that has been my experience as well, but I have found their recommendations for the "classic rock" and blues tones to be off as well. For example, I was in a store that had one of the hyped strat style guitars in stock and decided to try it out. Honestly, most off the shelf American Standards at GC were just as well constructed and played/sounded better. Of course, some small builders really nail what they make, but others are more hype than substance. The fact a small operation is building a product and charging a considerable amount of money for it does not mean said product is anything special. A large company can, in many cases, produce more for at a given production price point than a small operation can.

I almost bit into that type of hype some time ago. I had some serious cash to burn a few months ago after selling a tractor, and thought about buying a Dumble for the hell of it, knowing I could easily sell the amp. I checked one out and, while a spectacular amp, it wasn't some sort of be all/end all tone machine. Any number of amplifiers put out as good as (and perhaps better in some applications) a tone for that vein of amplification. In the end, I didn't want to tie up that much cash in something I would only own/use as novelty type device as my Mesas better suit my playing needs and habits.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am nearly 40. I do go heavier than AC/DC, but I also go as country as Merle Travis.

Wow - that's news to me.

Let me make this as plain and as clear as possible: People get banned HERE for things they do in violation of the site rules HERE. If they do something bad on TGP (or any other site), that's between them and the management of that other site. We don't ban people here just because we were "asked to" by the moderators and administrators of another site.

If you have evidence that shows that such activities have occurred, I would appreciate it if you would send me a PM so I can have a look at it.

As far as exceptions to what I said (above), the only one I can think of is this: If someone uses HC to plan or organize trolling attacks on ANY other site, they risk getting a long temp ban (or even a perma-ban) here. We have no interest in cross-forum flame and troll warz, and if someone uses our site to try to set that up, we're going to ban them.

You're entitled to your opinion regarding other sites (and of this site), but what you're accusing us of doing is not accurate. If another site offers us evidence that one of our members is trying to use our site to organize attacks on their site, that's one thing - but outside of that, we're not going to ban people just because they're having issues with them on another site.

Archived