Triggering audio samples live

symeboy

• Members

Hi all,

I posted this here because I was wondering if any other fellow guitarists have ever come across a way of triggering audio samples using some kind of footswitch? I have to warn you, I'm a bit of a noob at this so apologies in advance.

I would love to find an easy reliable (and hopefully not too expensive) way of triggering live synth parts to accompany our music live. I'd say I would have maybe one or two samples per song, not enough to warrant getting a keyboard player! :-)

I saw a metal band do it recently using a Yamaha Keyboard (Yamaha Motif XS7) and a foot controller (an FC-5). The XS7 stored multiple audio samples that you could scroll through and trigger using either the keyboard keys or a footcontroller. The keyboard sent two audios at once, a click to the drummer and a stereo .wav to the desk.

This would be an almost perfect way to do it, but for me using a whole keyboard feels like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Plus the xs7 is really expensive.

Is there anything else out there yet that stores multiple audio files, can be easily scrolled through in between songs, can trigger two audio files at once (click for drummer plus music) and can be controlled with a footswitch?

I know its possible to play whole songs to a click track, but I would prefer not to go down that route... I also would prefer not to have to use a laptop as I can imagine someone tipping beer on it or it going walkabout in some of the places we play! I may be asking the impossible, but I'd be surprised if there wasnt a market for such a thing I have described.

Thanks in advance :thu:

• Members

not playing to a click and trying to trigger samples is asking for disaster. you'd have to be perfectly in time with the sample for it to work, & i'll confidently say 99% of drummers can't keep a steady tempo from the beginning of a song to match up to a sample with a preset tempo.

unless the audio sample is just a noise or spoken parts or one held note/chord, you'll need to play to a click....as far as what else to use, sorry i'm not well versed enough in that stuff.

• Members

not playing to a click and trying to trigger samples is asking for disaster. you'd have to be perfectly in time with the sample for it to work, & i'll confidently say 99% of drummers can't keep a steady tempo from the beginning of a song to match up to a sample with a preset tempo.

unless the audio sample is just a noise or spoken parts or one held note/chord, you'll need to play to a click....as far as what else to use, sorry i'm not well versed enough in that stuff.

could always have the drummer play to a pedal tap tempo going, if there's a delay pedal lying around.

• Members

That video is amazing, crazy what you can do with a delay pedal and alot of messing about! Great stuff. I saw him step on the pedal on the left which triggered an old man talking... I guess something like that could work for what i need.

Ive seen live bands do exactly what im describing, I guess there is potential for the drummer to have to adjust tempo to match the click quickly which is unavoidable.

Thanks for the input peeps

• Members

Ableton Live is incredible and if you're willing to use a laptop I'd recomend it highly.

Otherwise, maybe an MPC, but that's not very cheap and has a learning curve of its own.

Honestly the simplest solution would be a human one, get a band member with free hands and a basic sampler (roland sp404 or similar) who can trigger samples in time.

The samples isnt the hard part, its the sequencing that {censored}s things up, and if you dont get it right everything will drift out of time with the live ban, retriggering the samples manually helps with this.

When I saw dredg the bassist was playing a sampler with his toes while the drummer played one handed with another on keyboard, it was nuts.

• Members

Ableton Live is incredible and if you're willing to use a laptop I'd recomend it highly.

Otherwise, maybe an MPC, but that's not very cheap and has a learning curve of its own.

Honestly the simplest solution would be a human one, get a band member with free hands and a basic sampler (roland sp404 or similar) who can trigger samples in time.

The samples isnt the hard part, its the sequencing that {censored}s things up, and if you dont get it right everything will drift out of time with the live ban, retriggering the samples manually helps with this.

When I saw dredg the bassist was playing a sampler with his toes while the drummer played one handed with another on keyboard, it was nuts.

This is what I do. Works well for me.

• Members

Thanks for the input everyone. The last idea was definitely the best! ha :-)

The digitech pedal looks really cool, I'm going to check that out. I'd like to avoid using a laptop if possible as I wouldnt trust it not too crash and again seems like using a sledgehammer...

I dont mind admitting that I'm a total noob, and I'm not sure what you mean by "The samples isnt the hard part, its the sequencing that {censored}s things up". By that do you mean there is a way to adjust the tempo on the fly to keep it to speed with the band? In theory that would be really cool, except no-one has free hands and alot of the time its full speed metal ahoy! so i wouldnt see that working....

I reckon some day software using some kind of recognition algorithm like voice recognition or those that can tell you what song is playing could probably do it for you, but thats probably a few years away yet.

Thanks again peeps and sorry for the long delay replying, my internet died for a day and a half there.

Archived