This is actually pretty funny: Bill Bailey U2 Fail

mhuxtable

• Members

Bill Bailey's great - one of the VERY few comedians that can pull off musical comedy without me cringing like hell.

I totally disagree. I actually find his musical comedy more cringeworthy than most because he's blatantly a failed rockstar. Be a comedian or be a musician, but don't inflict your music on the world through your comedy.

• Members

I thought it all comedians want to be rockstars :idk:

I think his stuff can be pretty observant, and I like the fact that that U2 joke could only really come from someone who knows their way around an instrument.

Oh, there's one more musical exception - Stewart Lee, but that was more him sitting for half an hour not really playing guitar at all.

• Members

See, the thing with Minchin and Bailey is.... they try to hard to show off what impressive musicians they are. Their stuff actually isn't funny because they're focussing more on the music than they are on the comedy. But if you take away the 'comedy' aspect of their performances, their music is weak at best. And why listen to weak music if it's not funny? And they're not funny.

I like Bill Bailey in Black Books.

• Members

Oh yeah, Minchin's just crap. All the styling reeks of making up for not actually having any material - I'd rank him somewhere with Russell Brand.

Don't get me wrong, I got a bit bored of Bailey's live stuff, but he's had some great moments and some of his stuff's well thought out and observed. I don't think he's trying to impress, he just knows his stuff musically and uses it. Black books was great too :thu: - although it comes across as a bit dated now, maybe just because I've seen them all before.

• Members

I think the difference between Tim Minchim (clearly failed rockstar) and Bill Bailey is abismal... I find Bill bayley to use music for the sake of comedy quite well... ( better than Eric Idle, imho)

but, personal opinions aside

[video=youtube;Thp46olQz3M]

Archived