Camel Audio: Alchemy

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm surprised I've still not seen any threads posted on this product since it's release date (a couple days ago).

I just finished off watching both of the new instructional videos. This looks like a great tool, and the price is definitely right. All I can say is that I am really impressed, and it looks like I will be definitely grabbing this sometime in March of 2009.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions? Does anyone else plan on grabbing this?

Cheers,

PB

• Members

Good for them! I just checked last weekend and it wasn't complete. Though, I had talked with Tim at Camel Audio and he had mentioned they were going to make the 'Autumn' deadline and not push it into Winter. Wow they made with a whole 5 days or so to spare :lol: Nice to have before Christmas.

I have not watched the demo yet, but from what I've heard I'm getting it. I've been waiting for a while. I thought about putting my software money towards Omnisphere and then Zebra 2 (which I will get later in 2009), but I'm going to buy Alchemy first. Very happy it's out now.

• Members

does 4 years in the making mean it is 4 year old technology/concept/algorithm, and it took that look to iron out the bugs?

listen to the demos and i can kinda start thinking up what other tools might already make those sounds...

still, i will try indeed

• Members

Funny, I watched those videos last night too.

I like the concept, but I'll try the demo before I buy. It didn't
sound
that good to me, but that could have just been YouTube.

I watched the videos and I wasn't really impressed either. Those granular and re-synthesis features sound gimmicky to me and didn't seem particularly musical. Like you said, maybe it's because of poor YouTube quality. I'll also have to try the demo to be sure.

• Members

So is this the newest software synth that is touted as the greatest thing ever, and will be forgotten about in a couple of months? (haven't been paying as much attention recently)

Exactly, I'm so over soft synths and I think mainly because of East West. I spent $1600 last year on EW Orchestra, and EWQL Pianos only to realize I need another $8000 in adequate computer hardware to run them with only a few cracks and pops. Notice I said only a few cracks and pops. Add to this the fact that they don't get used because they are both a PITA and the fact that they can't be sold and we've got a big fat waste of $1600. :facepalm:

• Members

I watched the vids and was a little underwhelmed. I'll definitely try out the demo first. I think the sound-only demos are better demostrations. It's worth it just for the Camel Phat filters and Camel Space that are integrated in the program already. I want to hear more of the patches it has though. I guess that is what the trial demo is for. The audio demos peak my interest much more. The Alchemy interface doesn't strike me as a stimulating to look at and use. After my initial let down of the vid demos, the audio demos are peaking my interest once again.

• Members

Alchemy replaces Cameleon and there is a deal for Cameleon owners right now to get the synth for 125 USD, so if you like Cameleon then it is a pretty good deal. I bought it because I am a sucker for software synthesizers and a sucker in general. In the software world I own way more VSTs than I have time to get into with any amount of depth, but Alchemy is one of the synths that I am focusing on right now.

I am surprised at the negative reactions here so far. The synth has a VA mode with waves from Galbanum (pretty much the go-to supplier for aftermarket waveforms for Rapture and Absynth), has additive synthesis in terms of partials or sonogram editing, allows a PPG-style wave table scanning in spectral mode (set speed to zero and modulate position using any modulator available), can import images into the sonogram, can load and resynthesize WAV files and SFZ files, has loop mode, has granular mode, has CamelPhat filters and CamelSpace reverb, has absolutely insane modulation capabilities, has a great arpeggiator, has morphing abilities that exceed Cameleon, has a very well-designed user-interface, and has a well-designed performance mode. Like most software synthesizers you get out of it what you put into it - you can make a dull and tinny-sounding buzzy patch or an incredibly interesting morphing soundscape.

I think it is important to remember that Alchemy is not a sampler and is not intended to function like a sampler. You can read a complicated SFZ file in for a sampled instrument but it re-synthesizes the instrument for you in its own environment. It will retain velocity and keyboard layers that you set in the SFZ file, though.

• Members

Nice try
:lol:
How about a quad core, dedicated 10,000 RPM drives, 4 GB ram, RME Fireface 800, Win XP.

Yeah, that should've been able to handle it. Probably some stupid Windows driver was messing up. :mad:

Even with fast computers, I've had to use the DPC Latency Checker sometimes to see which hardware driver is screwing things up.

• Members

Nice try
:lol:
How about a quad core, dedicated 10,000 RPM drives, 4 GB ram, RME
Fireface 800

There is your problem right there. Why people use Firewire, in non-laptop situations, is beyond me. Just to be clear - It is {censored}, completely and utterly {censored}, compared to PCI/PCIe.. It's for users who don't know how to install their own card. Many people use Firewire without problems. That's because they won the motherboard/chipset lottery. But, definitely, I agree that people should stay away from the non-Kontakt based EWQL stuff.. EastWests own software is just plain awful regardless of what they try to say to the contrary.

As for Alchemy, I've always said the main problem with software is there's too much concentration on features over sound quality. Based on the demos I'd say Alchemy represents a perfect example of this..

Archived