Non-keyboard MIDI controllers

Gribs

• Members

OK, I am a lazy loafer. I like to kick back in my office chair with my feet up, one hand on my XS6 keys, mouse reachable below, and a computer keyboard in my lap. I have to sit up straight in my chair to reach the 8 knobs and 8 sliders on the left hand side of the board. So I am thinking about getting a non-keyboard controller to plop in my lap for spinning knobs and whatnot with my left hand while I play with the right. I could use the knobs on my X-station 25 (and the xy pad and joystick), but it seems I could do a little better. I started looking at non-keyboard type controllers a couple of weeks ago to see what is available.

So what do you guys like? I have been looking at the Novation Remote Zero SL and also at the Akai MPD32 as a possibility that would also give me pads (Akai's are in MPC arrangement, Novation's are in a row). What do you think of this automap universal software? Does it add another layer and get in your way or does it help? Budget is under 300 USD.

Oh, I do have a small shelf unit to the left of my XS6 to put the controller when I am not being lazy. Right now I keep a stack of manuals there (plus my coffee cup) and doo-dads like guitar tuners and strings and music books on the shelves underneath.

• Members

OK, I am a lazy loafer. I like to kick back in my office chair with my feet up, one hand on my XS6 keys, mouse reachable below, and a computer keyboard in my lap. I have to sit up straight in my chair to reach the 8 knobs and 8 sliders on the left hand side of the board. So I am thinking about getting a non-keyboard controller to plop in my lap for spinning knobs and whatnot with my left hand while I play with the right. I could use the knobs on my X-station 25 (and the xy pad and joystick), but it seems I could do a little better. I started looking at non-keyboard type controllers a couple of weeks ago to see what is available.

So what do you guys like? I have been looking at the Novation Remote Zero SL and also at the Akai MPD32 as a possibility that would also give me pads (Akai's are in MPC arrangement, Novation's are in a row). What do you think of this automap universal software? Does it add another layer and get in your way or does it help? Budget is under 300 USD.

Oh, I do have a small shelf unit to the left of my XS6 to put the controller when I am not being lazy. Right now I keep a stack of manuals there (plus my coffee cup) and doo-dads like guitar tuners and strings and music books on the shelves underneath.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBCR2000

daft punk used these for a long while.. cheap and effective. endless knobs, cool lighting and indication. im getting one next year probably.

• Members

I remember seeing this really cool controller that was just a grid of 8 X 8 large glowing buttons. I wish I could remember what it was called because I kind of want one now.

It was probably one of these

Livid Instruments Ohm

I have been reading about whatever I can find. These things look pretty cool and small but are expensive, probably because they are imported, made by a small company, and not high volume stuff

Faderfox

The more I read about automap universal, the more I want to stay away from it. I just want something that is dead-nuts simple whose operation does not get in my way. Behringer stuff has a reputation for being cheap, but in this case it looks like a good choice simply because it is nothing but a box of knobs that are wired up to send MIDI CC messages.

• Members

a monome?

theyre expensive, damn cool though

And highly unavailable, too. That produces a WTF from my end. The concept is IMHO awesome, it should be cheaper but the darn things sell out anyways, but I have to question why they can't produce a decent run of them.

It's not as boutique chic, but you do get a 4x4 matrix with the $170-$190 Korg PadKontrol. And an X-Y pad to boot.

(For $60 there's the Korg NanoPad as well, which is a 2x6 matrix, but I haven't tried it yet to know if its any good. The Nano series look tempting for their size alone. Probably cheap and plasticy, but minimal.)

I do like the BCR2000 as well, have one of those.

• Members

Hey all, I just got my EM magazine and there is a "Hot Pick" review of the Akai MPD32 in it (5/5). I'm not so sure an MPC style controller is for me, but I thought I would post the info in case y'all are interested. I'm sittin' on it a bit :)

Archived