Recommend jazzy stuff

WildBilly

• Members

Bad Plus came up on my shuffle and was hoping the minds of HCFX could throw some similar bands they enjoy my way, old or new. Really like piano and odd time but could be anything.

Also remember some video in here a long time ago that was a "post-jazz" or something or other video with bass/piano/drum and was brutal, can't remember what it was.

Help.

• Members

Off the top of my head:

Esbjorn Svensson Trio

Jim Black/Alas No Axis

Magnus Ostrom

Nik Bartsch Ronin

Happy Apple (Bad Plus spin off)

Dave Brubeck

Marc Ducret/Tim Berne

Marco Benevento Trio

Aaron Parks

Robert Glasper Trio

Christian Scott

• Members

That stuff apart from Brubeck obviously is pretty much all modern sounding ambient/jazz/indie crossover stuff. Some is pretty outside, especially Tim Berne.

DaveinLondon probably has the best jazz knowledge out of anyone on this board, so I'm waiting for him to chime in.

• Members

Loobs is on the money with his suggestions. I know we both really dig Magnus Ostrom's 'Thread of Life' at the moment.

Odd time signature stuff is everywhere in jazz these days: Dave Holland, Brad Mehldau, Chris Potter, Ari Hoenig, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Jonathan Kreisberg etc etc etc.

Bags of vids worth watching in this old thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2794636-Post-great-modern-jazz-videos-in-here.

I'll write something more detailed tomorrow.

• Members

Off the top of my head:

Esbjorn Svensson Trio

Jim Black/Alas No Axis

Magnus Ostrom

Nik Bartsch Ronin

Happy Apple (Bad Plus spin off)

Dave Brubeck

Marc Ducret/Tim Berne

Marco Benevento Trio

Aaron Parks

Robert Glasper Trio

Christian Scott

It's been awhile since I've heard Marco's name. He went to school with a friend of mine; I haven't talked to him in forever. Cool to see he's getting the recognition he deserves

• Members

This is what this threads needs.

Somebody post some Jazz that's a bit like background music.

I maybe hijacking the OP's thread here...

not exactly but in a (perhaps sad) way it can apply. Not really jazz but in some parts it kinda is:

Archived