People that Know Stuff: Is the Maz 18 similar to a Bassman in design?

V

• Members

Ok, so on the surface this seems like a really stupid question. Maz 18s have a rep for being vox-based or something, but I fairly recently had my 1967 Bassman head serviced (apparently the filter caps were so bad they had holes in them) and now that it's tuned up (it never has been before) I can't help but notice the basic tone sounds almost exactly like my Maz 18. Of course they both have different controls and a different tube compliment, etc, but a tech once told me the Maz seemed to him like it was basically a fender. I didn't really buy it at the time, but damn...I dunno.

This is really causing me to consider selling the maz. It's that similar sounding.

• Members

I've own both the amps you mentioned. I'm sorry but they are not even in the same ballpark. The Maz 18 has to be the most over-rated amp I've ever purchased. I'll take an old bassman and a good overdrive pedal any day over the Maz.

Agreed... sell the maz and get a handwired vox.

• Members

Dr Z amps are for P&W players

You might think that cause everyone {censored}ing demos them by playing either bad country, bad blues, or some sappy {censored} but they do have pretty sizable balls.

• Members

What makes you say that?

Cause I bought a brand new one... and it was the most sterile, unmusical amp I've ever purchased. Maybe I got a lemon, but I can't see how hordes of people on TGP praise this thing. My used Budda SD18 destroyed the Maz in every way.

Archived