OT: DAW for a Recording Novice

stevics

• Members

I have just bought a E-MU USB Audio Interface from a fellow forumite.

It comes with bundle of software. I would like some help in deciding on the best DAW to get me started

Its on a PC so Garageband isn't an option.

I will be recording guitar cab using an SM57 (when and if it arrives)

The bundle includes the following DAWs:-

Cakewalk Sonar 6 LE

Cubase LE4

Ableton Live Lite 6

And the following software which I am not sure what it does.

E-MU Proteus VX

SFX Machine LT

Waldorf Edition LE

• Members

Reaper is my DAW of choice. It has a fully functional indefinite free trial period, has all the expected features and plugin support, is easy to use, and has a great forum community.

You really can't go wrong with Reaper as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

Unless LE4 has some serious restrictions the Cubase software is definitely the best out of your given options. If you plan on doing more than just basic recordings you should really just use whichever software can do the most not the easiest one. There are guides and video demonstrations for all of this {censored}. Getting a decent sounding recording is really not that complex. Furthermore you should just ask this on the Andy Sneap forum or the 7string recording/production forum

and garage band is for hipsters. Its like a {censored}ty version of fruity loops optimized to run in a starbucks. Then again i haven't seen garage band since like 2005. On the other hand my brother did some testing with the pre-latest version of Garage band and said some of the guitar stuff was pretty cool.

• Members

Reaper is my DAW of choice. It has a fully functional indefinite free trial period, has all the expected features and plugin support, is easy to use, and has a great forum community.

You really can't go wrong with Reaper as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks, good advice.

I buggered around with Cubase for a bit, didn't really feel good.

I already had Reaper downloaded from a year or two ago. never really used it.

I downloaded the latest "free" revision and tried it again and the basics clicked in pretty quick.

Still lots to learn however.

Reaper FTW

Archived