Who thought the Ravish Sitar was a total bore?

butterknucket

• Members

I have one here waiting for me to demo it for PGS. It's exhausting fun and yields much satisfaction if you are willing to conform somewhat to the sounds and styles of music that it was intended to accommodate. Meaning: it's not for everyone and will probably disappoint those who aren't ready to explore some outside-of-the-square thinking.

The comment above about Bill Ruppert was close to the mark but I wouldn't be quite that harsh. It won't disguise bad playing, though. If you want to sound like a sitar player you still have to play notes and passages that a real sitar(ist?) would play. I reckon you have to find a way to sink into it and let it work its wonders - while also appreciating its historical foundation. Like a musical blotter, if you will. Not an easy task. But bloody good fun.

• Members

uh, it is all this if you can play like this, if you can only play crappy metallica riffs then yes thats all it will do too. :thu:

if after watching this video you still don't realize how incredible this pedal is then I guess stick to $200 dirt pedals :lol:

• Members

but to be honest, I think its way too complex and powerful for many people to even appreciate and I imagine it won't be a huge seller.

somehow I don't think Mike Matthews gives a rats ass.

Probably not. Nor should he I guess. Although it might not be the best thing to ever come out, I don't mind that he's willing to try putting things out that are unconventional. Sure, sometimes the results are complete failures, but sometimes its pure win.

• Members

but to be honest, I think its way too complex and powerful for many people to even appreciate and I imagine it won't be a huge seller.

somehow I don't think Mike Matthews gives a rats ass.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :lol:

• Members

Probably not. Nor should he I guess. Although it might not be the best thing to ever come out, I don't mind that he's willing to try putting things out that are unconventional. Sure, sometimes the results are complete failures, but sometimes its pure win.

this is absolutely my favorite thing about EHX. One thing you can say is for certain is they don't just build 10 different flavors of dirt.

• Members

I think the sympathetics sound really brilliant, & I've always wanted a pedal that would do that effect. I've even thought about building something like this to do it: http://nicksworldofsynthesizers.com/stringresonator.php

For sitar sounds, I'm perfectly find using a clean electric sound for my lead sound, but I've always wanted the sympathetics, this looks like a means to the end.

I don't really care for the lead sound- way too in your face, although I think tuned right & in combination with the right pedals the lead sound could do some cool synth sounds with that Q & decay on it.

Also it's got the octave bends & modulation in it. I'm sure in conjunction with my HOG I could make really cool sounds when I get it.

Archived