Finishing amp_surgeon's design (HCFX pedal content)

onyxrhino

• Members

Since the other thread had alot of ideas being thrown around, I figured I might start a thread to focus solely on the possibility of finishing amp_surgeon's design for an HCFX bit crusher.

He was nice enough to provide us with the schematic and let us know what still needed to be done.

Anyway, even if days were 48 hours long I'd still be short on spare time. As much as I'd love to play with this project, it will never bubble up high enough on my priority list to actually get done. 90% of it is finished, anyway. Someone just needs to pick up where we left off and get moving on it.

The last state of the circuit design was this:

SRR.gif

It works, but the sample rate oscillator can clearly be heard in the output. It comes out as a square wave tone that increases in pitch as you rotate the frequency knob. You don't notice it when you're playing your guitar, but it's annoying as hell when you're not. If anyone wants to take a crack at eliminating, or at least minimizing the bleed through of the sample rate clock, then it would be ready to build.

Any takers?

...I think the first thing we would need to do is to determine is if there is someone here able and willing to fix the problem areas of the design and basically finish the schematic.

Once that's done we could find a builder(s), raise money (natereal had a good idea with the kickstarter suggestion), decide on gfx, etc etc etc...I think those would be easy enough if we had a simple working design.

What say you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, to kill the bitrat noise, you could gate it....throw in anotherpair of opamps, set one up as a sum-er to create a voltage based on input, then use that as a comparator-level to gate in the bit-rate. ugly....lots of cal-per-unit, but it'd work.

• Members

Hey Nat how does the kickstarter thing work? I mean, what are you asking for? the money for the finished pedal? Donations to buy parts that secure a discount off the finished pedal, is it easy to keep track of it all?

I think firstly we need to get that schematic working correctly, then get some money together to get nice PCB's made up, people could dontate to pay for the PCB's by paying for their own PCB for thier pedal kinda thing? you'd need to work out the total cost of everything too before asking for money I think.

• Members

Hey Nat how does the kickstarter thing work? I mean, what are you asking for? the money for the finished pedal? Donations to buy parts that secure a discount off the finished pedal, is it easy to keep track of it all?

I think firstly we need to get that schematic working correctly, then get some money together to get nice PCB's made up, people could dontate to pay for the PCB's by paying for their own PCB for thier pedal kinda thing? you'd need to work out the total cost of everything too before asking for money I think.

yeah, I think we could work out how to pay for this pretty easily. and it seems like we have people willing to work on the builds. The key is the design. Surely someone here can finish this schematic?

• Members

Kickstarter works in a way that you donate at certain price points, each price point has something you get for donating said amount and one only gets the money if the goal, x amount is met. Its too early to make one now, so finishing the circuit, getting all able hands and calculating costs would be the #1 priority at the moment.

• Members

Kickstarter works in a way that you donate at certain price points, each price point has something you get for donating said amount and one only gets the money if the goal, x amount is met. Its too early to make one now, so finishing the circuit, getting all able hands and calculating costs would be the #1 priority at the moment.

indeed, can you stop it when ever you want? so you don't end up having to make twice as many as is decided on?

• Members

indeed, can you stop it when ever you want? so you don't end up having to make twice as many as is decided on?

Well we should have a prototype phase where we see what it comes out to and how much time and money it requires, I'm not sure if you can stop at the goal one sets, but I'd imagine you can as that's what you're trying to raise. I have seen people exceed the amount they ask for.

I think we should start with listing the guilty parties

Engineers to keep in touch and work out the bugs

Builders to discuss construction methods and costs

Artist can converse about graphics and enclosure design

I think once that happens, kickstarter should be used to raise prototype money.

Then we calculate how many people want one, forget bitches and get money.

• Members

until we can find someone to work on the scheme, we are pretty stuffed though.. does anyone know anyone who can do this kind of thing.. that's has to be no1 priority and talking about it isn't enough, we need to approach people directly, PM's whatever.... get the thing moving along.

• Members

importantly, this isn't going to be fast, cheap and good.

If you seen the diagram in the other thread, you can't have all three.

So take that into consideration

Engineers, Builders, and Artists can pm me if they're down for the cause. Ill sort you out and have you communicating with one another.

• Members

until we can find someone to work on the scheme, we are pretty stuffed though.. does anyone know anyone who can do this kind of thing.. that's has to be no1 priority and talking about it isn't enough, we need to approach people directly, PM's whatever.... get the thing moving along.

yeah. i posted the schematic and a plea for help in the DIY thread. in terms of PMs, not sure who we would contact. Who here is capable of finishing this sort of schematic? I figure Tape probably could, but he always seems too busy/focused on his own projects. No one else comes to immediately to mind.

• Members

I would follow Mel's advice, because he seems interested and I haven't seen him in hcfx for ages. SRS.

Also, the stripes are gone.

Currently seeking new avatar, temp one in place.

I'm just trying to help help a bit if I can, I don't really want to get seriously involved if i'm honest, I don't mind soldering a dozen of the PCBs up for the UK guys or whatever if that's needed but that's as far as I'm going with this, I don't really have the time to do much else right now and I don't like letting people down.

• Members

i would think enough people could DIY if we could just get the pcb, enclosure and parts shipped out. i wouldnt mind populating my own, im sure enough people here are handy enough with a soldering iron to do it.

that would save a lot of people a lot of time. and also i would think that whoever actually does populate the boards and put the pedal together would get some kind of financial reward :idk: seems fair to me.

• Members

i would think enough people could DIY if we could just get the pcb, enclosure and parts shipped out. i wouldnt mind populating my own, im sure enough people here are handy enough with a soldering iron to do it.

that would save a lot of people a lot of time. and also i would think that whoever actually does populate the boards and put the pedal together would get some kind of financial reward
:idk:
seems fair to me.

not too worried about who gets paid what at this point. we can start another thread determining details of the build, once we have a working schematic. do we need to offer some sort of reward or monies for someone to finish the design?

Archived