"There's only two kinds of music....

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Ah yes, getting to the heart of the debate.

I think the most sublime happiness isn't aware of itself. When you realize yourself as happy you separate yourself from it to a certain degree. When you're most happy, you aren't making music about it. That's not the case with melancholy. There's happy music, but it's not as good a representation of the actually feeling it's try to express as sad music is.

• Members

I think the most sublime happiness isn't aware of itself. When you realize yourself as happy you separate yourself from it to a certain degree. When you're most happy, you aren't making music about it. That's not the case with melancholy. There's happy music, but it's not as good a representation of the actually feeling it's try to express as sad music is.

Well-thought out statement.

The quote was brought to my attention when dialoguing with a friend about The Beach Boys. I suppose he was trying to say that they were (to his ears) "zippity do dah."

But to say that Brian Wilson's songs lack sadness or melancholia is, as we know, utterly untrue.

So maybe Van Zandt's grossly overgeneralized view of the world is poking at something more than just sad songs vs. happy songs. My dad used to tell me he felt the same way when comparing Mozart to Beethoven. There've been Beatles vs. Zeppelin HCFZx threads that address the same sort of idea.

So why this tendency?

• Members

One of the best posts I've read in my time here

• Members

Well-thought out statement.

The quote was brought to my attention when dialoguing with a friend about The Beach Boys. I suppose he was trying to say that they were (to his ears) "zippity do dah."

But to say that Brian Wilson's songs lack sadness or melancholia is, as we know, utterly untrue.

So maybe Van Zandt's grossly overgeneralized view of the world is poking at something more than just sad songs vs. happy songs. My dad used to tell me he felt the same way when comparing Mozart to Beethoven. There've been Beatles vs. Zeppelin HCFZx threads that address the same sort of idea.

So why this tendency?

Beethoven is the blues & Mozart is Zippity Do Dah right?

What's Stravinsky, Orff, Wagner, and Mussorgsky? I don't think they really fit into either category really.

• Members

The Vinegar Tasters: http://www.taoism.net/sanctuary/books/vintaste.htm

Can't appreciate the sweet without the sour.

Archived