Way OT: I need a new snowboard

thom

• Members

I know this is a long shot, but I know there's a few snowboarders here. And from the looks of it, I shouldn't be worried about being the only one who posts off-topic stuff:)

Anyway, for some reason I'm having a hard time finding the right board for me:

-Want the get the most out of the few weeks/days a year I get to go, so I want the best board I can afford, but I don't plan on selling an amp to get a high end pro board or anything either.

-As far as skills/experience goes, I'd say I'm "intermediate", or in most people's defenition of that, probably even a little better.

-Graphics: I know it shouldn't matter, and it's really not a priority, but overly gaudy designs are out of the question (pron, skulls, tribals), and I'd rather avoid the '80s/disco style graphics that seem to be fashionable these days, as well as the sort of skate punk stuff you'd associate with kids half my age.

-I'm fit, light weight, not tall, strong for my size but not Chuck Norris strong. If that helps at all:)

-I'd want something that can get me through backcountry powder, but the main territory will obviously be slopes. BUT jibbing/park is high up the list too. No big jumps or halfpipes for me, but the few times I'll try a silly little trick I'd want all the help I can get from my board. I'm used to an old fullblood freestyle/park board, and although it sucks for powder, maybe my next board shouldn't be TOO different from what I've being riding the last 6 years...

Long story short: An alround freestyle board with an emphesis to backcountry/powder, for a 'reasonable' price:)

Long post is long, srry:(

• Members

this is what i ride, a solomon dirty sanchez :lol:

http://www.the-house.com/9851sasa9zz-salomon-snowboards.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopcomparefeed&CAWELAID=201655042

its a nice board, the graphics on mine are different though, but i really like it. a nice all around board, feels really good. do you have bindings and boots already you could use?

• Members

Seems like an affordable allround board, about the size I think I'd need too. Just not sure if it's much of a step up from what I have now. Something I forgot to mension: My current board was sort of a pro model back in the day, and though the technology might be a bit outdated, and the board's a bit worn...I'm still not sure if a low/mid priced newer board would be much of an improvement, aside of being aimed a little more towards other things than just the park...

I've got okayish boots (Vans). They weren't the most expensive ones, but so far they work great for me. Got new Flow bindings a couple years ago, absolutely love 'em. Strapping in/out at the speed of light, and my feet are strapped in just as tight -if not tighter- as with my old Drake bindings...

Anyway, it'd also be great if someone could shed a light on the whole camber vs rocker thing, there's a lot of contradicting info floating around on the net. Cheers.

• Members

Ive had two romes, a k2, and I'm currently riding an '08 omatic. I pretty much exclusively do jib and park stuff, so I'm a bit biased in terms of boards. True twin or bust. Reverse camber boards are amazing for jibbing, but not much else. Threres a small builder here in mass called bean snowboards. Never ridden them, but I'm seeing them everywhere now, so they're definitly doing well.

For you i would say just get a solid all mountain true twin. When I'm not on my phone ill take a look at stuff, I'm a little out of sync with the market

• Members

Ive had two romes, a k2, and I'm currently riding an '08 omatic. I pretty much exclusively do jib and park stuff, so I'm a bit biased in terms of boards. True twin or bust. Reverse camber boards are amazing for jibbing, but not much else. Threres a small builder here in mass called bean snowboards. Never ridden them, but I'm seeing them everywhere now, so they're definitly doing well.

For you i would say just get a solid all mountain true twin. When I'm not on my phone ill take a look at stuff, I'm a little out of sync with the market

Thanks. I'm clueless when it comes to snowboard gear, but I thought reverse camber works good in deep powder as well, cause of the lifted tail/tip?

Seems like there's a zillion more variations to the classic rocker concept, doesn't exactly make it easier for me to buy a board without testing it first:s

• Members

which bindings do you have? i think i'm on the market for something new for next season.

I think mine might not be the exact same model, but they look very similar if not identical, I'm not sure about the exact model/type.

I just google image'd this, don't know how the current new versions of these look or anything:

Flow.jpg

Has the straps you can adjust just like on regular bindings, and they can help you to escape when you're stuck in powder and it's too steep to get your heel out:)

I never touch em though, I just put in my foot while I'm coming of the lift and I'm done in a matter of seconds. Always fun to pass other dudes who are sitting in the snow strapping in even though they left a couple mins before me.

That's one {censored}ty part I hated when I went from skiing to boarding, all solved when one of my old bindings broke and I discoverd in the shop that those awful looking (and too loose) old flow bindings have evolved:)

• Members

I think mine might not be the exact same model, but they look very similar if not identical, I'm not sure about the exact model/type.

I just google image'd this, don't know how the current new versions of these look or anything:

Flow.jpg

Has the straps you can adjust just like on regular bindings, and they can help you to escape when you're stuck in powder and it's too steep to get your heel out:)

I never touch em though,
I just put in my foot while I'm coming of the lift and I'm done in a matter of seconds. Always fun to pass other dudes who are sitting in the snow strapping in even though they left a couple mins before me

That's one {censored}ty part I hated when I went from skiing to boarding, all solved when one of my old bindings broke and I discoverd in the shop that those awful looking (and too loose) old flow bindings have evolved:)

this. is why i want new bindings

• Members

Thanks. I'm clueless when it comes to snowboard gear, but I thought reverse camber works good in deep powder as well, cause of the lifted tail/tip?

Seems like there's a zillion more variations to the classic rocker concept, doesn't exactly make it easier for me to buy a board without testing it first:s

Naturally a reverse camber can provide a lot of float if you're in deep deep powder, but don't expect excellent carving. Kind of a trade off. If you're doing crazy 5 ft of powder stuff, reverse camber directional twin all day. I get the sense that you want to do a bit of everything though, no? I back Rome snowboards really hard. Solid boards and a variety of prices.

• Members

I've been looking at some rocker/camber hybrids, particularly 10/11 dicount boards.

Hard to tell without trying one out, but they're supposed to have the best of both worlds, though they obviously also come with some trade offs.

I'll take a look at the Rome catalogue. Right now I've got my eye on a Arbor Coda, last year's model, which I'm not sure is missing a lot of the technology of the current Coda model. I'm also tempted to just go all the way and get the Element RX, just becaus of the oldschool look...:p

• Members

I'm a big fan of hybrid camber boards I used to ride ultra aggressive "pipe" style boards with deep side cut and a stiff profile and consider myself an advanced/very experienced rider.

I recently bought a Capita Black Snowboard of death - hybrid camber ( camber between the feet and rocker on the tip and tail...) {censored} me is it amazing. turns faster and easier when blasting through trees, floats better in pow and is generally fun as hell to ride. It is the best board i've had in a very long time and i've been riding since the early 90's so i've seen and rode almost all iterations of boards. Its a true quiver killer... the only other board i would get is a longer version for back country pow days. I think it would work for an "intermediate" (however that can be quantified)

My Gf has a burton hybrid rocker that she seems to like and i have a friend that has a libtech hybrid that he likes...

If you want a stock standard normal ass snowboard a Burton custom is seriously hard to beat. I rode them for years and they never let me down.

Ps. Flow bindings are complete {censored}... whoever came up with rear entry bindings has never rode in powder... epic fail... get proper bindings.

• Members

Wow I've been out of the game, didn't even know hybrid rockers were all the rage now :lol:. Capita makes an AWESOME board. Good choice, sir. However, I hate to sound like a hipster, but I just can't get behind burtons stuff. They're like the wal-mart of snowbording to me now :(

• Members

I'm a big fan of hybrid camber boards I used to ride ultra aggressive "pipe" style boards with deep side cut and a stiff profile and consider myself an advanced/very experienced rider.

I recently bought a Capita Black Snowboard of death - hybrid camber ( camber between the feet and rocker on the tip and tail...) {censored} me is it amazing. turns faster and easier when blasting through trees, floats better in pow and is generally fun as hell to ride. It is the best board i've had in a very long time and i've been riding since the early 90's so i've seen and rode almost all iterations of boards. Its a true quiver killer... the only other board i would get is a longer version for back country pow days. I think it would work for an "intermediate" (however that can be quantified)

My Gf has a burton hybrid rocker that she seems to like and i have a friend that has a libtech hybrid that he likes...

If you want a stock standard normal ass snowboard a Burton custom is seriously hard to beat. I rode them for years and they never let me down.

Ps. Flow bindings are complete {censored}... whoever came up with rear entry bindings has never rode in powder... epic fail... get proper bindings.

I checked out the Capita hybrid camber boards...Turns out Capita isn't too easy to find here in Europe, at least not in the local shops or the hadful of big online retailers.

Never had a problem in powder, my flow bindings feel pretty much the same as my old regular bindings, no matter what kind of terrain. What's your problem with them exactly?

Anyway, this is the Arbor model I mensioned:

http://www.backcountry.com/arbor-element-rx-snowboard

Just some random site for a pic and specs. When I googled for info about it accidentaly found an online store that has one on sale for almost 20% less than wat most other online retailers charge. Very tempted, though I'm not sure what to expect of the "parabolic rocker". I guess it's arbor's stab at a rocker board with a little bit of camber. The more I read about it being an all-mountain machine, great for pow, etc...The more I wonder if it'll be buttery at all. Not sure if medium flex is good enough to make up for my not-so-awesome-yet jib/park skills...

• Members

Sorry for bumping an OT thread that most guys here don't care about, but I just wanted to give a little update:

Talked to my brother who bought a brand new board last year, his knee is busted so bad the doctors advice him to never snowboard again. They might as well sentence me to death, but he was new to snowboarding and not as addicted as me yet.

Anyway, the board is the exactly the size I was after, and as it turns out it's not a rocker board, and probably not complete junk.

2010 K2 www rocker, in case anyone's familiar with it. Supposed to be a real frestyle park/rail board if I get the online descriptions/reviews right, so not exactly the ideal choice as an all-mountain stick...

So it doesn't show many signs of real hybrid tehnology, and aside from being an older model, it's marketed as an intermediate board rather than an intermediate/expert board like the ones I was looking at...

But it would give me the chance to try out a jib/rocker board for free, it might help me make the right decision next winter when I'll shop for a new board with -hopefully- more money on my account:) For all I know I'll dig the anti-camber shape and never want anything else. Curious how it'll hold up on hard/icey slopes, although it can't be much worse than my old board...

Also, FunctionLost...You seem to know what your talking about, so I'm still curious what yer problem is with flow bindings in powder. Unless you're in pow constantly, the rear entry thing isn't an issue, right? There's still straps on the front that open/close almost as easy as on regular bindings, so...:idk:

• Members

I would take it. Try it and keep it as a spare if you aren't too thrilled with it.

A major difference between high end "expert" boards and "intermediate" (i use those terms purely for comparison purposes) is the quality of base material which effects how well they take wax and ultimately how fast they go. If thats important to you.

If its full rocker then its not going to work as an all mountain freestyle shred stick but it might be a fun play board to piss around on. Full rockers don't hold edges well at high speeds in my experience.

speaking of knees i tweaked an old knee injury riding yesterday... out for a bit but hopefully now the whole season. {censored}.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Zzzzing! I'm resurrection this year old thread because:

-My brother's knee healed up well enough to snowboard again. Not long/hard/fast, but it's better than nothing.

-He told me there might be a chance we could go to the Alps and stay in a friend's appartement for a week, and he could make the 8hour drive for free, with his company car. I'm trying not get my hopes up too high, cause nothing's certain yet, but how f*cking cool would that be???:)

Bad news: He'd obviously need his board back. I REALLY liked it though, but if one of those hybrid/system rockers would help me a little in fast turns without losing too much in the jib/powder departement, I think that's what I'll want.

So pretty much the same question as last year: Which lightweight system/hybrid rocker board (152-154cm) doesn't have hideous graphics that'll make me want to puke? The goddamn nausiating 80s style graphics still seem to be popular, and so are the childish tough guy designs with skulls and snakes and what not. Don't get me wrong, the aesthetics aren't my priority, but if I have a choice, I'd rather go for something tasty/classy/boring:lol:

Cheers.

• Members

I have been riding for 20 years and almost always had a Burton board but that changed last year. I bought a Forum Destroyer 158 and Forum republic bindings and I couldnt be happier. I also gave a Rossignol Angus 158 a try and although it was super awesome I still went with the Forum.

• Members

I remember way back always wanting burton gear but the thing I always hated with their stuff was the 3 bolt pattern boards that would only fit burton bindings. I never had the loot back then to buy a complete setup, always just bindings here, board there, boots here kinda thing.

Maybe binding companies caught on eventually, dont know. I always used Flow bindings though and that steered me away from Burton because of it.

• Members

Thanks. It's kinda hard to still find a blowout deal for a 2012 board that meets all my requirements, so I'll probably have to spend more and get a 2013 stick instead:s

Don't know about the burton issues with flow bindings, I'll google around for the answer.

Don't know what to think of all the new groundbreaking technologiesidn_smilie.gif Every year every company comes up with a new trend that's supposed to improve this or that. Not sure if it's maybe just a marketing thing, like they HAVE to desperately come up with something new every seasonidn_smilie.gif

If there is any truth to the new technologies and board shapes though, Bataleon and Lib Tech seem to make a lot of sense as far as I can tell.

A couple other brands I've been looking at that seem to have some really nice decks for my style (Jones in particular, as well as the high end Lib Techs), seem to be more like the Klons of the snowboarding world. Meaning they're overkill, both for my skill level and budget.

K2 seems to be more straight forward as well as affordable, and it's on of the few brands I happen to have a little experience with. Positive experience that is, it actually convinced me I don't need to spend a ton on a good board.

• Members

Yeah those newer flow bindings might have an extra adapter piece for burton bolt patterns..dont really know.

I was never that into "following" snowboarding as much as the next guy. I guess cause its a seasonal thing. I'd make sure my gear was decent but never got that into it like that. Its been 15 years with limited attention paid to the future of board designs and all I can say is flow bindings are what I stick with.

I used to ride a K2 Fatboy a while back. That thing rode like a sheet of plywood it was way too wide with no real sidecut. I ended up separating the plys at the tail leaning to hard on the back end.

Then I got another K2, forget the model....did the same thing...separated the plys at the tail. Its possible that these boards were made more for mountain riding and I like to ride everything and completely destroy my board while doing it.

Best board Ive owned so far is my Palmer board that I'm riding now. Great snap, great handling, and I got it dirt cheap, brand new of craigslist. I have big feet and I thought the sidecut was gonna be an issue because its the slimmest board Ive ridden, but the thickness in the board across the middle keeps the toes and heels from dragging a lot. And you can get a nice lean angle with it.

Oh I had an M9? once and I ended up ripping my binding off the board while trying to stick a 360 off a jump at Camelback. Bolts completely ripped free from the board and I had to hobble one footed down the rest of the trail and bolt the binding back in in a different set of mounting holes...haha

• Members

The more I look around and compare boards and prices, the more I'm turning into an obsessed google zombie, much like the state I get into when I'm hunting down the perfect new rare fuzz pedlolfacepalm.gif

Big difference here: I spend extremely little time snowboarding, and I'm not half as good at it as I am at playing guitar. But it's kinda BECAUSE I don't get more than a couple weeks a year in the mountains that I want to get the most out of it, so I don't want to be held back by 'average' equipment.

ANYWAY...Luckily I'm limited by the availability of cheapish 2012 deals, because the gigantic amount of brands and models makes it impossible for someone like me to pull the trigger on a board, especially since in this case a list of specs, a sales pitch and a youtube demo, is even less help than when you're shopping for dirt pedsicon_lol.gif

Archived