ONE guitar only- drastic volume decrease when using drive - so weird

mikejmeehan

• Members

The most bizarre thing EVER. I'm usually a Fender guy but I got an 80s Hohner LP copy. Gorgeous. BUT when I use it clean, it's MUCH louder than any of my other guitars (at least double the volume- it's ridiculous) AND when I engage distortion (Double Big Muff, Little Big Muff, MI Audio Blue Boy) it almost vanishes, to the point where I can barely hear it.

WTF forum??? A volume drop when using distortion? And it's been at the same practice when I've swapped with other guitars and they all behave themselves.

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Members

The output volume of the guitar is obviously much higher than the output volume of most distortion pedals, put a boost pedal in front of a distortion pedal, turn the distortion on and crank the volume on the boost to full, then turn the distortion pedal off and see what happens.. massive volume boost, same thing.

• Members

not enough information to diagnose the problem, but if you didn't know, distortion generally involves a volume ceiling where everything that is above a certain voltage (amplitude) is cut off. The result is similar to compression, quiet and loud sounds are at the same volume. Not sure why it would be like you barely hear it though.

Archived