Epi Les Paul Custom. Yer Thoughts???

pktsymph

• Members

Picking up an alpine white epiphone Les Paul custom tomorrow rather cheap. I've always wanted to give a Les Paul a try and never had an opportunity to pick one up cheap enough until now. Anybody play one of these currently or in the past? Love it or hate it?

• Members

I love mine as well.

It was my main gigging axe, but I've since switched to a Tele.

I changed the pickups right away as I've never liked any of the Epi pickups that have come across.

Mine is MIK. I can't really tell you the date as I don't have the serial number with me.

I got it on the cheap on Ebay and I really scored. It plays extremely well and is quite the workhorse.

I did get it properly set up by my go to luthier and I have to say that it really just kills. I switched the pickups with some from a Gibson SG, with all new electronics,

and I also installed a Tone Pros bridge (they are awesome. if you've never tried a guitar with one I suggest you do).

Once I finished with the overhaul I have to say its one of my nicest playing and sounding guitars.

I recently got bored and dulled the finish out with some 0000 steel wool.

423120_2405919241264_1649648102_1684796_

• Members

i got a lefty around 2003. was really nice playin and i liked it a lot.

but in 2005 a gibson 1975 lefty lpc with maple neck showed up on ebay. i was working hard, earned money and it was time to buy something big. so i hit it.

when it arrived i just started playing and first impression was, man this plays so much nicer than my epi. the feel of the neck and everything

at this point then i noticed some minor stuff on the epi which i didn't care before, such like the binding on the gibson was much better done, everything was round, no tiny edges which you feel when playin, like the epi

the setup and the pickups and overall, were really nice, but the craftsmanship and the quality of the gibson is much better. i never did a side by side comparison if they have the same neck profile (yeah me stupid never to look at this detail having both guitars by hand), but the gibson neck feels much nicer to me.

that said for 600euro (new european price) you get with the epi a very nice working horse guitar and modding it if you feel to, does not hurt that much.

i like my gibson much more, but this was a 3000euro+ investment

• Members

Save up a little more and if possible get a nice MIJ LP Custom, Tokai/Burny/Greco/Edwards. The difference is night and day.

this would be a good thing to do.

but the Epi EB Custom / Black Beauties are good guitars. i only recommend changing the electronics in them. 490-498's....... no thanks.

• Members

awesome guitars aslong as you replace the hardware and pickups, i suggest sperzel locking tuners, tonepros locking bridge or at the very least a gotoh and pickups of your choice, the nut should be acceptable.

on ebay sperzels are about 65 bucks, gotoh bridge for 30 and pickups anywere frm 50 to 250 dollars depending what you want, i suggest emg 81/60 @18v ;)

• Members

I love mine as well.

It was my main gigging axe,
but I've since switched to a Tele.

I changed the pickups right away as I've never liked any of the Epi pickups that have come across.

Mine is MIK. I can't really tell you the date as I don't have the serial number with me.

I got it on the cheap on Ebay and I really scored. It plays extremely well and is quite the workhorse.

I did get it properly set up by my go to luthier and I have to say that it really just kills. I switched the pickups with some from a Gibson SG, with all new electronics,

and I also installed a Tone Pros bridge (they are awesome. if you've never tried a guitar with one I suggest you do).

Once I finished with the overhaul I have to say its one of my nicest playing and sounding guitars.

I recently got bored and dulled the finish out with some 0000 steel wool.

423120_2405919241264_1649648102_1684796_

What's your telecaster look like?

• Members
awesome guitars aslong as you replace the hardware and pickups, i suggest sperzel locking tuners, tonepros locking bridge or at the very least a gotoh and pickups of your choice, the nut should be acceptable.

on ebay sperzels are about 65 bucks, gotoh bridge for 30 and pickups anywere frm 50 to 250 dollars depending what you want,
i suggest emg 81/60 @18v
;)

VOMIT_1bf84c_75105.gif

• Members

I have an Epi custom - it plays as well as most of the Gibson Studios I have played. The electronics leave quite a lot to be desired. I'm in the same boat as Pelliot - I have had mine for a few years and never really liked the pickups, but I have been too cheap/lazy to replace them so far.

• Members

Awesome guitars, only once you replace 99% of the hardware....lol

funny but true. I've got a couple of great Epi LPs, but yeah, I've replaced all kinds of stuff on them over the years. of course, eventually you'll find yourself tweaking, upgrading, and repairing any guitar you get, so it might be a wash.

• Members

Thanks so much doodz. Overall I'm getting very positive vibes. Definitely if I wind up loving the way it feels a pickup change would be my first move, probably a Suhr and an HB sized p90 in the neck. Like I said, this is totally an experiment so if I wind up hating an LP no big deal and I can flip it. I see these go on CList all day for more than Im paying so it's not really a huge gamble. PS this is by far the most successful inquiry I have ever made on HCFX.

• Members

They're good guitars, especially at a nice used price. I have a Epi LP Tribute which is their upper line, no need to replace anything, as they come with Gibson '57 pickups in it, switchcraft parts, etc, and dual coil tap too, along with the longer neck tenon. Got mine for $600, usually $800 new. I like it better than most Gibson models I've tried under $2k. The Epi Traditional Pro is also nice, with a worn in neck/back, and coil taps. I think the stock pickups on these are a lot better too.

• Members

My friend an a white Epi Custom. I thought it was pretty good, not as good as my lawsuit Hondo II (I have a very exceptional one as far as Hondo IIs go.) I thought the pups were a bit bland, the guitar a bit too light, & the neck shape wasn't quite there, but I thought it was good & if you could get one for the tune of 200 or so, that's not a bad buy. Tuned, intonated, and played well. I'd just switch the pups.

• Members

Epiphones have crazy wild quality control. Make sure you play it for a while before you buy. My main gigging axe is an Epi LP Standard, and I love it to death. Honestly, it outplays most any guitar I've tried, including Gibbys four or five times the price. My buddy has an LP Standard, however, and it feels like crap to me. Same thing for a lot of the ones I've picked up in stores. I was lucky that the first one I picked up was incredible, or I'd still be rocking a Stratocaster full time.

Just make sure to play before you buy. The good ones are flat out incredible, but the bad ones... terrible.

Archived