String changing

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I've always pulled them tight through the machine head, then stuck 4 fingers vertical, underneath the string on the neck for some slack, then bent the string at the machine head to anchor it.

I don't think that makes any sense to anyone other than me..

I am understand. Guy at the music store showed me this when I was shopping for my first electric. I make one turn at the tuner and clip the string so it doesn't keep flapping by. 1/8th inch holds. This is not recommended because this twists the string causing strange harmonics - never bothered me. The winding looks neat and factory fresh.

• Members

I've always pulled them tight through the machine head, then stuck 4 fingers vertical, underneath the string on the neck for some slack, then bent the string at the machine head to anchor it.

Same as what I do

• Members

Makes sense to me. But maybe we are on the same ****** waves.

I like to use the locking string technique.

stringthis.jpg

• Members

That's what I do with acoustics.

• Members

I swap out pickups like crazy and I don't use new strings every time I do. Every time I restring the locking string technique is a pain to do with a cut end, and I've had strings break because of excessive bending. Don't get me wrong I love the technique, just that on some of my testbed guitars locking tuners are great for constant modding and such. Just my two cents.

AHHHHH I get you. I can see your point. I'm swapping a quite a few pickups into guitars every week at the shop and never really have any trouble with the locking method when loosening them off. Provided it was done right of course. But yes, locking tuners are better in that regard. But if your modding your guitar that often for it to be a pain in the ass, you can't be pleased and should just give up, bitch.

oh burn

• Members

I swap out pickups like crazy and I don't use new strings every time I do. Every time I restring the locking string technique is a pain to do with a cut end, and I've had strings break because of excessive bending. Don't get me wrong I love the technique, just that on some of my testbed guitars locking tuners are great for constant modding and such. Just my two cents.

Nope

Just curious, how often do you swap pick ups? Second question, why do you do it so much? This seems liek one of those moments where I'd own multiple guitars to have different pick up configurations.

Archived