Polyphonic fuzz oscillation

Grueller

• Members

I make a fuzz called the Thought Projector that has two light controlled VCOs built in. They'll cost about 135 a piece when I make the line.

I've only built prototypes so far. . . need to get off my lazy ass & finish my PCB design.

You should try it with two knobs instead of the eyes. I think it would be easier to fine tune the oscillation if you're tweaking two knobs like a set of nipples than it would be to manipulate one or two light sources. Sounds cool either way!

• Members

You should try it with two knobs instead of the eyes. I think it would be easier to fine tune the oscillation if you're tweaking two knobs like a set of nipples than it would be to manipulate one or two light sources. Sounds cool either way!

Yeah, but that'd make it a 6 knob pedal. It could be an option on it though. I'll be able to build different versions of the pedal from the same PCB.

• Members

Glad I started this thread :)

Not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I want oscillation and tons of sustain, but low gain and dark tone. I brought this up before, but never quite settled on what would best serve up this effect without stacking a bunch of separate ones like compressor/fuzz/filter. I'd much prefer one all-inclusive effect.

• Members

Glad I started this thread
:)

Not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I want oscillation and tons of sustain, but low gain and dark tone. I brought this up before, but never quite settled on what would best serve up this effect without stacking a bunch of separate ones like compressor/fuzz/filter. I'd much prefer one all-inclusive effect.

Yeah, this is more of a gated fuzz. It's actually two: Tim Escobedo PWMs (which are very gated square wave fuzzes) run in parallel & out of phase with a phase control. With certain phase settings, it increases the sustain before it cuts out, but it's still a pretty rough effect. The oscillators & both fuzzes all run off the same chip. The chip could actually run 6 oscillators if I omitted the fuzz. At some point I'm gonna make myself a little drone synth with one of those chips.

I think what you'd want is something like two parallel DOD-250s or Red Llamas with individual feedback on each one. That'd get you two notes. Or you could have one DOD-250 or other dark low-gain OD with a separate chip running multiple oscillators.

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a pretty unwieldy fuzz, it'd be completely ridiculous without it being footswitchable.

would it be doable to have a knob, like a feedback knob, to limit/control the action of the eye?

that way it would be exactly what i've been looking for, for a long time and i'd most certainly be interested in one.

• Members

Yeah, that'd be doable, either by having a knob in series or parallel. Since it's dual oscillators though it'd probably need two knobs, although since I think both of the photocells connect to ground one pot could go after both of them with ground on the middle lug. A volume knob would also be useful, & maybe something I should put pads for on my PCB.

Archived