vintage guild, opinions?

misterstomach

• Members

i posted about this for my doom room dudes, but i have a feeling that thread is moving too fast and my post will be ten pages deep before many people see it. so to the general forum:

a friend is selling a black s300d for $650. seems like a pretty good price. i can only really afford it if i get rid of my les paul that i can't seem to sell and some other financial stars align for me properly. but it's a friend, so he'll probably hold on to it for me for a bit. i love vintage guilds and i thought this one was really cool when i saw it. it looked better in person i think. but now i can't decide. is it a cool as hell vintage not-quite-pointy guitar, or is it ugly as hell? it's kind of the upper horn thing that i'm not liking, but i don't know.

this is not a picture of the actual guitar, but it looks just like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSN1N4I2MQnVoTDPXyR2x

S-300's are nice guitars, and although a little unusual in their shape, I really don't consider them as "pointy guitars" - YMMV. BTW, a "D" at the end of the model name means it is equipped with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion humbuckers instead of the stock Guild pickups. An "A" at the end of the name means it has an ash body instead of mahogany - they offered them with both wood types. They made them from '76 until the mid 80s, and they made quite a few of them, so they're not super rare or anything.

If you don't use / dig the Les Paul, and the Guild "speaks" to you, then by all means, go for it. They're good guitars IMHO.

• Members

S-300's are nice guitars, and although a little unusual in their shape, I really don't consider them as "pointy guitars" - YMMV. BTW, a "D" at the end of the model name means it is equipped with DiMarzio PAF and Super Distortion humbuckers instead of the stock Guild pickups. An "A" at the end of the name means it has an ash body instead of mahogany - they offered them with both wood types. They made them from '76 until the mid 80s, and they made quite a few of them, so they're not super rare or anything.

If you don't use / dig the Les Paul, and the Guild "speaks" to you, then by all means, go for it. They're good guitars IMHO.

thanks for the info. i was curious about the wood type. it's not an "ad", so i reckon it's mahogany, which appeals to me. i'll probably go for it if i can manage to afford it. i need to spend a bit of time playing it first and see if we have some magic. i've been thinking about selling the les paul for a couple of years to get something else. i don't really think of it as pointy, just a little closer to that than my tastes usually run. like if it had been designed in the 80's instead of the '70's it may have turned out pointy. i've always been a fan of pretty classic shapes and have been toying with the idea of getting something different. this might be the one that i can handle, although it's a big step for me.

• Members

my first real guitar was a black S-100 (the dude I bought it from told me it was a 1968, I never researched it, those were different times pre-internet). I bought it in 1985 just before I went to college. I went to high school with the guy, he ripped on stuff like Black Sabbath, 70's Aerosmith, Deep Purple etc. Great sounding guitar, I gigged it for 6 years, in a Hippy/Allmans/Neil Young type band....good times until I sold it and my '72 Gibson SG bass and my Lab Series amp to pay rent on a 1 room dump on the outskirts of Boulder in the early 90's.....the rest of the decade is just nuts and I won't go into it. :lol:

To the OP, I would hit that quick, 70-80's Guilds are great quality instruments, any I have seen I have wanted to take home....they lost me when they band-wagoned the pointy guitar thing, ugh.

• Members

my first real guitar was a black S-100 (the dude I bought it from told me it was a 1968, I never researched it, those were different times pre-internet). I bought it in 1985 just before I went to college. I went to high school with the guy, he ripped on stuff like Black Sabbath, 70's Aerosmith, Deep Purple etc. Great sounding guitar, I gigged it for 6 years, in a Hippy/Allmans/Neil Young type band....good times until I sold it and my '72 Gibson SG bass and my Lab Series amp to pay rent on a 1 room dump on the outskirts of Boulder in the early 90's.....the rest of the decade is just nuts and I won't go into it.
:lol:

To the OP, I would hit that quick, 70-80's Guilds are great quality instruments, any I have seen I have wanted to take home....they lost me when they band-wagoned the pointy guitar thing, ugh.

i sure am responding to my own thread a lot. i guess it's just so fascinating to me. but anyway, ironically, my first guitar ever was also a black s100. i got it at an army surplus store for $25. i don't know what year it was, but it had a bunch of miles on it and had to have been from the mid '70s or so. i can't bear to tell the tragic story of what happened to it, but lets just say the combined idiocy of several young teenage boys resulted in it's demise. i didn't realize how awesome my $25 guitar was until it was gone and i started getting one cheap guitar after another trying to "upgrade". i've missed it ever since and deeply regretted letting it go. i've kind of thought that by getting another vintage guild i could ease the pain and kind of redeem myself.

• Members

i sure am responding to my own thread a lot. i guess it's just so fascinating to me. but anyway, ironically, my first guitar ever was also a black s100. i got it at an army surplus store for $25. i don't know what year it was, but it had a bunch of miles on it and had to have been from the mid '70s or so. i can't bear to tell the tragic story of what happened to it, but lets just say the combined idiocy of several young teenage boys resulted in it's demise. i didn't realize how awesome my $25 guitar was until it was gone and i started getting one cheap guitar after another trying to "upgrade". i've missed it ever since and deeply regretted letting it go. i've kind of thought that by getting another vintage guild i could ease the pain and kind of redeem myself.

25 bucks!? sweet deal, I paid $200 for mine, I had to make a lot of bad mexican food and cut a of of lawns to come up with that kinda money. I was saving for college. I saw one of those s-300's recently and really didn't have the money. Want.

• Members

One of my earlier guitars was an S-100 with acorns. Great neck on those things.

I still have my Guild S-100 (sans acorns) and it is my favorite HB guitar. If I ever have to sell 90% of my stuff off, it will be one of 3 that I keep.

The neck is superb.

EDIT: If your friend can't find another buyer, let me know.

650 is a little steep, but I can keep him from dumping it on CL for 400.

Archived