HALP ! my geetar needs it

bieke

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ah, well the case is something else

it came with the orginal case that was held together by several layers of duct tape, inside smelled like a dead rat, definitely something rotten in there

I've been cleaning it inside with textile cleaning foam for about 10 times now, and gave it a new layer of duct tape outside

• Members

on the gentler side:

juice a lemon, mix with hydrogen peroxide, rub on the finish.

....I don't think you want to try some of the true organic solvents...well, honestly, I don't want to be responsible for illness if you mishandle them.

About the safest way to try this would be to get some veterinary-grade DMSO, double-glove, and rub gently on the finish....but I don't know if DMSO is safe around guitar finishes (I'd definitely try it in some spray-over/pickup-cavity area first).

NOTE: DMSO will absolutely pick up any toxic residue and wash it DIRECTLY INTO YOUR BLOODSTREAM if it comes in contact with your skin.

SO DOUBLE GLOVE LIKE YOU WERE HOPPING WHORES IN A SYPHILLUS CONVENTION IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!

• Members

I'd wait on any wax-treatment....that would actually put a layer of 'solid' over the nicotine....but nicotine is actually a bit of a solvent in itself (well, "oily", which is a solvent for many waxes) and would eventually begin to surface thru many wax-type treatments....starting to smell all over again down the road.

• Members

Formula 409 spray cleaner. I've been a smoker for a long time, and I've found nothing that works as well for removing tar residue from virtually anything. Way better than Windex or any other glass cleaner. You won't even have to scrub it. It literally just dissolves the tar. :thu:

• Members

thanks for all the advice

not only do I know what to wear to the next mad whores with syphilis convention

I'm also making progress on the guitar

I did 2 rounds with the GOJO soap, one round with the Sunlight soap

when I was rinsing my cloths with the GOJO, lots of brownish water was going down the drain, so it definitely did rub off some of it

rubbed it dry with a new old t-shirt

and now put on some unidentified oily stuff that I got from a freindly old guy at an antique store, asked him what he was using to get that perfect shine on the old furniture and wooden stuff and he gave me a baggie with some cotton balls drenched in a mysterious fluid that smells like vintage candy ...

I'm checking it every hour and give it another rub with a dry cloth

Archived