HALP ! my geetar needs it

bieke

• Members

traded one of my guitars for something else, did well

the guitar I got had been standing in a smoking room for 35 years and wasn't played much, it needed a bit of a set-up, I managed

BUT

how do I get rid of the nicotine/tar goop ?

it's literally coated with the stuff, feels tacky, it stinks

stuff I tried, were the regular cleaning products (some sprays from Duesesnberg and Dunlop, only made it worse), naphta (zippo lighter fluid), contact spray, car wax polish, wood polish,

repeatedly,

I've been buffing and polishing for 2 weeks already

:mad:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

been there. Windex works quite well, but Ivory soap is best (leaves no residue).

tried Windex, well Glassex (that's what you can get over here), I used that after the contact cleaner to remove traces of solvent

didn't try Ivory soap, I have these vintage Sunlight bar, I'll give that a try

thanks

• Members

Is there an auto parts store by you? They should have products called "waterless soap", or just "hand cleaner". It's really effective in breaking down grease. That's probably the next thing I'd try after everything you mentioned.

Yeah, I read about the hand cleaner thing on TGP. I got a bit of that stuff and gonna try that tonight.

• Members

Hmm you would think naptha would eliminate all that grime and wash away the musk. That didn't work at all?

So far, naphta has been giving the best result, but did that 3 or 4 times already, I rub it on with a paper towel and rub it off with an old t-shirt and than use a damp cloth to get rid of traces ...

• Members

You could try letting it soak in longer and really rubbing it in like when polishing. It usually grabs all that dirt and lubs the finish up to the point that the dust can't resettle.

Also, what are you using for buffing and polishing?

• Members

i think you might be obsessive about cleaning. if so, it will never be clean enough for you.

I think so too, the guitar has had a rough life at first, and then stood for 35 years in a smoking room, it sounds great, it plays great, but after an hour it the neck becomes super sticky and my right arm turns yellow en it rubs off on clothes and it stinks ...

• Members

I think so too, the guitar has had a rough life at first, and then stood for 35 years in a smoking room, it sounds great, it plays great, but after an hour it the neck becomes super sticky and my right arm turns yellow en it rubs off on clothes and it stinks ...

such a long thread of you, without any pic of the guitar you are speaking of, i'm surprised...

sorry no better cleaning tips, but i want pic's of that guitar, and what kind of guitar is itm which is more than 35years old?

• Members

You could try letting it soak in longer and really rubbing it in like when polishing. It usually grabs all that dirt and lubs the finish up to the point that the dust can't resettle.

Also, what are you using for buffing and polishing?

for buffing I tried

diamond paste 50

• Members

such a long thread of you, without any pic of the guitar you are speaking of, i'm surprised...

sorry no better cleaning tips, but i want pic's of that guitar, and what kind of guitar is itm which is more than 35years old?

it is a brown guitar

pics to follow

Archived