OT: Hammond Organ guys - B3 value?

who235

If it's a real B-3, with no chop job or other modifications and in good to excellent condition, I'd say a couple of grand. The prices on them keep going up, so that's probably not "current", but assuming the bad boy's in good shape, has been regularly serviced / oiled, tubes are good, etc. - that's about what I'd say it's worth.

Have you ever fired up a B3 before? It's a bit of a procedure, so don't let that throw you off.

As far as what can and can't have issues, there's a ton of things - you'd really be best served taking a Hammond expert with you. Know anyone who owns or works on them locally? Take them with you to look at the beast - even if it means paying them a few bucks.

• Members

I don't know anyone locally, which is part of the problem. I'm afraid I'll miss it if I don't jump on it.

We're talking under $500, one owner "granny organ" here.

My plan would likely be to flip it honestly, though I've always wanted a B3 of my own. Tough decision.

• Members

if there's no leslie and no other way to hear it in action then I'm not sure how to test it.

Also consider you would likely need at least 4 pretty strong people and a truck or something bigger to transport it. A B3 is quite big and heavy. Most people hire professional movers for something like this.

If you do get it, one tip I can think of right away is to lock down the tonewheel so it doesn't get busted up in transport.

• Members

a couple years ago they were around 2500.00-$3000.00 in good shape. the market right now is horrid and they're probably around $1200.00-$2000.00. the A-100, A-105 and C3 are basically the same thing but go for less. who you buy it from can mean something when buying them, if the seller is a veteran player, the bugs have probably been gone through. I had an M-3 but got rid of it because it took up too much room and I didn't want to ever have to move it. modeled B-3 is so good nowadays I wouldn't bother with a real one. but real ones are cool, no question.

• Members

if there's no leslie and no other way to hear it in action then I'm not sure how to test it.

Also consider you would likely need at least 4 pretty strong people and a truck or something bigger to transport it. A B3 is quite big and heavy. Most people hire professional movers for something like this.

If you do get it, one tip I can think of right away is to lock down the tonewheel so it doesn't get busted up in transport.

you can buy Hammond dollys for a couple hundred bucks or so, I've seen guys move them on their own. but having at least one other strong person is a requisite for sure.

• Members

Well, I just checked Craigslist again because I was going to email her.

Looks like she edited the listing - it's an M3, not a B3 - which makes me significantly less excited about the whole thing.

M-3's are cool (and cheap, around $150.00), they don't have the upper octave and a couple other things but same tone wheel. Green Onions'd

• Members

I also see the "free organ, you pick up" situation pretty regularly around here, along with some pretty decent ones in the $100-$200 range. I'll probably hold off until I see something cool for super cheap.

Shit, I don't even know how to play the organ really, besides knowing a few basic chord shapes. I've always wanted to learn though.

I think the prospect of a $500 B3 made me a bit greedy for a minute there. :lol:

Archived