Opinion on the older Gibson SG Deluxes? (71 inparticular)

Jakkeh

• Members

They built SGs in so many different ways back in those days. Depending on model sometimes, even. I've owned three different SGs a '68 junior, a '72 standard, and an '81 SG R1. I've palyed countless others over the years. My guitarist in one of my old bands used one like that through his Marshall stack and it sounded huge. It was a nice player too. Another friend currently owns one too. I would check how the neck is set into the body if you can see it in the pictures. With my experience, the closer the neck is to just being joined on in front of the body rather than on top of it, the better playing the guitar seems to be. YMMV, tl,dr and all that...

• Members

The frets look pretty low and square...like they are worn out. Very little left for dressing. Probably needs new frets.

By not being able to play it, you can't tell if it is the type that changes pitch when you pull on the strap hook on the body. Not good if it is that type.

• Members

I don't know how the neck on that one compares to my `73 Standard, but if it's like a previous poster said it's pretty thin with wide low frets. The nut is also a bit skinnier than usual Gibsons. I had been a fat neck, tall frets guy for a long time, but my `73 and a couple other guitars have converted me. LOVE mine!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I love mine, and its sound is awesome. I took the Bigsby off, though, and installed a stop tailpiece. The Bigsby was not only bad for tuning stability, it was also a pain in the ass to restring. I've never regretted replacing it with the stop tailpiece. It stays in tune, is easy to restring, and has great sustain.

Archived