So Squier is finally releasing a Mustang... good news / bad news...

Phil O'Keefe

Yup, a real, honest to goodness Squier Mustang.

SQ_FSR_Mustang1.jpg

SQ_FSR_Mustang2.jpg

SQ_FSR_Mustang3.jpg

That's the good news. :)

The bad news is that they are FSR - Factory Special Run - and that usually means fairly limited production numbers... and this model is not available outside of Japan, and probably never will be. Since they're a FSR, they'll probably be fairly hard to find, even in Japan.

http://www.fender.jp/squier/hotgear/080fsr-factory-special-run/001019.php

I guess we're going to have to continue to wait for Squier to make a version of the Mustang (guitar) that you can get in the USA. :(

• Members

Silly. You would think that it would be a perfect Squire guitar since it was originally designed as a student or budget model.

yup - full circle

I need to sell my 70s mustang soon so I can get in on this recent 'stang craze... make a bit more on it now maybe :idk:

Silly. You would think that it would be a perfect Squire guitar since it was originally designed as a student or budget model.

Yeah, you'd think - but apparently not. :idk: In addition to the Mustang, I'd love to see a decent Fender or Squier version of the Duo Sonic II, as well as a low-cost yet reasonably full-featured and authentic Jaguar ala the J Mascis Jazzmaster...

Any price?

57,750 Yen... according to the handy web currency converters, that's currently about $714.02 USD.

I heard Fender has a new CEO who is responsible for all the recent cool releases, is this right Phil?

Yes, Fender has a fairly new CEO - the announcement of his appointment to that position was made back in mid-2010. As far as whether or not he's had a direct hand in the new models, I really don't know... but as the head honcho, I suspect he at least oversaw the folks who decided to release those new models, if he didn't approve them himself. I have never met him, but according to a few friends who work at Fender, they generally like the guy and think he "gets it."

Fender's current CEO is named Larry Thomas. He's a longtime industry guy - actually a former GC CEO (from '96 - '04).

http://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2010/07/fender-musical-instruments-corporation-appoints-music-industry-veteran-larry-thomas-to-ceo/

Yeah Japan needs to quit hogging all the offsets.

Japan is making their own offsets and doesn't want to (or isn't allowed to) share them with the rest of us. :( The US, Mexico and various other Asian countries (China, Indonesia, etc.) are also making offsets, but some of the coolest ones - and certainly the widest selection of models and colors - are still available only in Japan. It probably is just not cost-effective for Fender USA to import a ton of different models and colors. :(

Archived