Question about FloydRose-style trems...

recovery

• Members

I used to have a Jazzmaster with a non-screw trem bar and it was very easy and natural to strum chords creating that bendy MBV type of tone. I am now using a guitar with a screw-in trem and it feels really different.

Is anyone using this style of trem while strumming? Is there a concern about stripping because the threads are constantly being worked?

Thanks for your input.

• Members

I don't think the threads are being worked on a Floyd when you strum.

Most of the time they don't screw in like a Strat trem, but rather screw on over the post if that makes any sense.

The bar swivels independently of the screwing mechanism. At least that's how it is on all the Floyds I've seen.

I could be totally wrong about this. I don't have any Floyd Rose equipped guitars so I'm working on memory.

• Members

Hmmmm, well maybe I actually have a Strat style trem. I am not really familiar with non-Jazzmaster trems. I do know that it screws in, and when I am strumming it seems to be screwing/unscrewing with the up/down motion. This can't be a good thing, eh?

• Members

ts-03-large.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. See how it connects with a collar instead of just screwing into a hole? That's what I was saying about Floyds. The threads shouldn't be involved at all by strumming with the arm in hand.

On a Strat I usually throw a little teflon tape around the threads before I screw the arm in. It keeps the arm in the hole a little stiffer so it will stay wherever I leave it and I think it helps keep the threads from stripping. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I always do it and it hasn't screwed anything up yet.

• Members

Ok, based on what you are saying, mine is a Strat trem. So, the threads are being "worked" as I strum. The Teflon trick sounds like it may help on the wear and tear. Thanks!

The Jazzy trem seems so much longer, looser, and "playable" for that constant trem style of playing. I love the guitar (Fernades Native) so I guess I will adjust.

Archived