The Alchemy of Guitar Sounds: a thread of stupid quotes about "tone"

Aristotle

• Members

There are many gear myths and bad ideas about good guitar tones (as if there was such a thing independent of the musical context). Feel free to share examples of these as you come across them.

Here's one I found as I was searching how to remove the VOS gunk from my LP.

Watch out for change in tone when cleaning metal parts that participate in creation of your guitar's tone.

If you clean 'too much' - both underside of the bridge and surface of thumb-wheels, it might bring some treble/highs you might not like. I liked those additional highs, but it's only me, I guess. But at the same time I've deepened the slots on saddles by just a little, which made exactly the opposite effect ... So, bottom-line is - just be careful with those metal surfaces.

:facepalm:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha... I know I'm not in the majority when it comes to my ideas. I've always been the guy who tries to make up my own opinions and not trust some dude on the internet.

I actually build guitars and I've done quite a bit of research on my own... if you fellas want I could do a little demo. I've got an ash body and a mahogany body. One is a strat shape and other is a les Paul... I can throw the same p90 in bridge of each?

Let me ask you this though... do you who don't agree with me have any proof? Have you ever slapped on a strat pickup and bridge onto a les Paul? Keep in mind you would have to do the proper routing to fit the vibrato system. Also would have to make it a bolt on neck some how.

• Members

Haha... I know I'm not in the majority when it comes to my ideas. I've always been the guy who tries to make up my own opinions and not trust some dude on the internet.

I actually build guitars and I've done quite a bit of research on my own... if you fellas want I could do a little demo. I've got an ash body and a mahogany body. One is a strat shape and other is a les Paul... I can throw the same p90 in bridge of each?

Let me ask you this though... do you who don't agree with me have any proof? Have you ever slapped on a strat pickup and bridge onto a les Paul? Keep in mind you would have to do the proper routing to fit the vibrato system. Also would have to make it a bolt on neck some how.

So you're saying the route for the bridge makes a different but the wood the pickup sits in does not?

How do you feel about neck and fretboard woods?

• Members

Let me refrain.. I think wood makes a difference.. but not as much as people think. I also think the wood has more of effect on sustain than tone.

Think about how a pickup works... it picks up the vibrations of the strings electronically. It's not a mic attached to the guitar... technically it's something much different. With that in mind... on paper one would conclude that strings, String vibrations/tension, pickups, and pickup placement should be the variables that matter most. I've also noticed that a lot of my friends interpret the way the guitar feels as part of the sound. I don't consider that the tone of the guitar because no one else feels that but you when playing it.

Now different woods can effect the way the string vibrates.. but I think a well constructed guitar would matter more.

I think there are a lot of variables that matter more than the wood and I think people get those mixed up with "the sound of the wood". Different pickups, strings, and pickup placement/height is going to have more of a effect on tone than wood.

• Members

So you're saying the route for the bridge makes a different but the wood the pickup sits in does not?

How do you feel about neck and fretboard woods?

I think different bridges and different vibrato systems will have an effect on strong tension which will also have an effect on vibrations.

I think neck woods are important... that's what helps the strings vibrate more freely depending on how it's set up. Some woods are stiffer or more stable than other which could also help in vibration consistency.

In short.. I think neck woods and construction is way more important to the tone than what the wood of the body is made of.

Archived