Hand Injury - What Would You Do?

lotlizard

• Members

I have played guitar and bass for a quarter of a century as of this last month. Though I no longer have any ambitions of playing as a full-time venture, I did, in my younger years, make enough money from my musical ventures to buy my first house. I thought I would continue to play as an indulgent hobby, occasionally gigging with guys my age.

Due to a hand injury which resulted from a city boy (me) playing around with a piece of farm machinery, playing may no longer be an option. I've been noodling (with the cast on) around this past week to realize that I am never going to play with the same facility I had before the accident. Years of riding motorcycles, skydiving, and boxing, and I'm done in by a ridiculously oversized lawnmower.

The big, wtf question of the moment, for me, is what the hell do I do if I can't fully recover the use of my left hand (the right seems to be healing nicely).

I'm tempted to just ebay everything and say the hell with it. I'm too damn old to deal with the frustration of attempting to rehabilitate my left hand when the pay off may be far from what I want it to be.

• Members

what exactly is the injury, if you don't mind telling? Is it just broken stuff? Tendons severed? Fingers missing?

Generally, if you haven't actually lost tissue you probably just need some time after the cast comes off to get back to strength. Arthritis pain or numbness might be kind of a drag. I had a friend that had the tendons in his fret hand severed under the wrist, and the doctors told him they can get cut about 90% through and you'll still make a full recovery. Still has numbness but he can play fine, though he wasn't exactly Yngwie before he got hurt so who knows.

• Members

Last year, after a show, I was beaten and mugged and left for dead in the street. My left hand was injured very badly due to nerve damage from being left unconcious on the street and laying on that arm the entire night. The thought of not being able to play guitar anymore destroyed me. I was determined and figured out a way to position my hand on the neck and be able to kind of play with two fingers. I messed around with open tunings and had some very very basic things down.

The doctors said my arm wouldn't work for at least a year, and after pushing myself further and further to be able to play guitar, I managed to get muscle movement in my fingers after four months.

Determination will get you far, brother. Iommi doesn't have fingertips, and it didn't stop him from being able to rock.

• Members

Les Paul.
Django.
Derek Bailey.
These guys should be role models in overcoming disability.
I once saw a guy with no left hand and only 2 fingers on his right. He strapped a slide bar to his stump and used a thumb and finger pick, lay the guitar across his lap and just WAILED.

It isn't over yet, brother.

• Members

I have to avoid fist fights due to breakign my right hand too many times and not doing {censored} about it. It doesn't affect my playing unless it's broken, when it is broken I just try not to think about the pain ha. I'd wait to see how your hands fully heal before you throw in the towel. Jumping the gun could be the dumbest thing you do. Far dumber than {censored}ing your hands up in a lawnmower.

• Members

Multiple breaks and fractures with some tendon and nerve damage. Each finger on my left hand was pointed in a completely different, and unnatural, direction. I might lose feeling completely in some fingers and parts of my hand.

I forgot all about Django, Les Paul, and Tony Iommi.

I guess there is always a way. For example, I'm not even typing my posts. I create them in Word using voice recognition software and then cut and past them into the browser to post.

Hell, at least I didn't lose a hand.

• Members

Multiple breaks and fractures with some tendon and nerve damage. Each finger on my left hand was pointed in a completely different, and unnatural, direction. I might lose feeling completely in some fingers and parts of my hand.

I guess there is always a way. For example, I'm not even typing my posts. I create them in Word using voice recognition software and then cut and past them into the browser to post.

I'd avoid doing {censored} with your hands. As much as that sucks, hands are essential tools for the body. You can live without them, but living with out hands will {censored}ing blow. Let them heal, take the needed time and be happy it wasn't worse. I have a horrible habbit of not waiting for {censored} to heal and now I'm left with two bad knees, a {censored}ed left foot and my right hand fractures without even hitting {censored} full force. Learn from my stupidity.

• Members

That's the spirit! One of the greatest tap dancers of the 20th century had only one leg. He learned to tap on his false leg and became legendary as "Peg Leg" Bates. He even had a resort in Catskills that, while open to all races, catered primarily to Black people who weren't allowed into the other resorts back then.

Remember, physical therapy is a bitch. It hurts and it's got to hurt to work. I think of it as an enemy I have to defeat that stands between me and being healthy again.

• Members

That's the spirit! One of the greatest tap dancers of the 20th century had only one leg. He learned to tap on his false leg and became legendary as "Peg Leg" Bates. He even had a resort in Catskills that, while open to all races, catered primarily to Black people who weren't allowed into the other resorts back then.

Remember, physical therapy is a bitch. It hurts and it's got to hurt to work. I think of it as an enemy I have to defeat that stands between me and being healthy again.

I like this post because it's not snarky and slightly condescending like mine are.

• Members

I like this post because it's not snarky and slightly condescending like mine are.

I think because we are all guitar players- we can take crap about loosing jobs, girlfriends, getting ripped off, beaten up but it is really serious if you hurt your hand. Not funny.

• Members

This, this, a thousand times this!

I broke my kneecap in a car crash and didn't bother doing my physiotherapy every day because it was a pain, both literally and figuratively, and now it kinda hurts going up stairs sometimes, and especially when it's cold outside.

Do your {censored}ing physio!

Archived