Blues Jr. Overdrive

DylanWilde

• Members

So, thus far, I've been using my Blues Jr. for clean sounds, which it does beautifully. However, I've been wanting to add some grit to my sound, so I've been cranking the preamp volume in order to get some natural overdrive from the amp. Turns out that when pushed, the gain is ratty and actually seems to add some dissonant/enharmonic content to my chords (almost like a subtle ring modulator/octavia) when I dig in. Is there any way to remedy this? I've been thinking of swapping tubes, but I kind of want to get some opinions and see if this is simply the nature of the beast. . .

• Members

Have you ever had the amp biased by a tech? Mine was also kind of ratty (although I kind of liked that) until I had my usual tech take a look at it. He biased it more optimally (from the factory they're biased extremely extremely hot which causes transformer hum, dark muddy sound, and will also burn through power tubes pretty quickly). The problem is most people never do this because the amp does not have an adjustable bias. You have to actually replace some resistors to change the bias.

• Members

So, thus far, I've been using my Blues Jr. for clean sounds, which it does beautifully. However, I've been wanting to add some grit to my sound, so I've been cranking the preamp volume in order to get some natural overdrive from the amp. Turns out that when pushed, the gain is ratty and actually seems to add some dissonant/enharmonic content to my chords (almost like a subtle ring modulator/octavia) when I dig in. Is there any way to remedy this? I've been thinking of swapping tubes, but I kind of want to get some opinions and see if this is simply the nature of the beast. . .

I'VE BEEN {censored}ING SAYING THIS FOR YEARS. THIS {censored} HAPPENS WITH

DRRI

FENDER TWIN

BLUES JR(ALL VARIATIONS)

BASSMAN

Only cure is a bright cap mod or a hot rod deluxe. I tried like 50 difference speakers and it will never go away...

• Members

It's not a brightness thing at all, though. It actually seems more like a clipping issue, where there is clipping happening that sounds splatty, and square-wave-ish rather than smooth and tube-like. I don't have an issue at all with equalization, it's more an issue with the preamp distortion not having note-definition, and, beyond that, actually mangling some of what I'm playing in an unnatural, almost fuzz-like way. . .which can be cool, except when you're trying to play complex chords or anything with delicacy.

• Members

I know what your talking about and was able to calm that rattyness a bit with some smoother tubes. I wish i could remember exactly which 12ax7's i put in that worked. I think i went to the tubestore and read the reviews and picked the ones i though would cure the issue.

I eventually just cranked the master and used pedals for dirt. An AC booster pairs very very well with this amp.

I also agree with Stevenglass' comment about just getting a hotrod deluxe, one of my favorite clean tones ever was a HRD re-tubed with TADS. I still miss that amp a lot and may buy another at some point.

• Members

I had a 15 year love/hate relationship with my BJr. Eventually I just decided it was the nature of the beast. {censored} BillM has made a cottage industry in trying to coax the lil thang into bliss. Recently saw a modded Bjr on Cl for $800. Poor dude had gone whole hog on the thing:facepalm:

I wouldn't chase saturated dirt tones out of it, just get a 5E3 and let your journey begin.

DW

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I love the dirt on those things... If I am using one of the Blues Jr's I'll put the fat switch on... run the eq's at noon... volume about 75% up and master around where it needs to be in the mix... I always thought this lead setting sounded smooth and awesome. I wonder if it'd start farting out if I really pushed the master up high.

EDIT: Sorry, my post is pretty worthless

Archived